Accessing a Dead Hard Drive???????????

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by boleiro, Jan 21, 2009.

1. boleiro macrumors newbie

I have an Aluminum Powerbook G4 (1.33) and the hard drive died on me. I am waiting for the replacement to arrive (seagate 160gb) and was hoping to get some help on how I might be able to retrieve information from the old hard drive. Is there a way to access dead hard drives?

2. nippyjun macrumors 65816

What are the symptoms?

Can you attach it as an external drive to another system to see if any data is retreivable?

3. cerealj macrumors member

Indeed, if it works enough that it can be accessed by another system, you can maybe pull its data off. There are programs designed to help get data off busted hard drives. But ultimately, if the drive is broken beyond functioning at all, youre sunk. Unless you want to go through the lengthly and expensive process of getting it sent to a clean room where they'll take out the platters and put them in a working drive, but it'd have to be really important data to be worth that.

4. boleiro thread starter macrumors newbie

No, but now I will try that. thanks. My hard drives has been whigning for sometime and I have been meaning to swap, but money and time are tough commodities lately. Basically, now upon start up, it just sits on the grey screen, no wheel, nothing just stays on that grey screen. zero sound coming from hard drive.

5. mperkins37 macrumors 6502a

mperkins37

There are a couple USB devices that plug into a drive & your computer. Fry's sells them for about 20.00USD. I have had success, but if the drive is "Frozen" it will not work.
    I have saved data off of 4 drives thought to be dead.
    Good Luck.

6. kastenbrust macrumors 68030

kastenbrust

Theres so many things that could have broken about it i would need more information, but theres almost no circumstance in which something has happened to a hard drive that i cant get the data off, even if the hard drive has been completely formatted (wiped). The only real way to completely kill a hard drive permanently is to incinerate it. If you could let us know more about how it broke i could give you some advice.

The first thing to try would be putting it inside an external hard drive caddy and seeing if it will plug into a windows pc and come up like a memory stick would when plugged in.

7. boleiro thread starter macrumors newbie

at this point I really can't say what exactly the problem is with the hard drive. I will find out and post the details. there isn't anything on my hard drive that is an absolute must have. I record music on logic and there are a few songs I was working on that hadn't been backed up yet. I was just hoping there was some thing that could be done on the cheap. But thanks for all the help.

8. amitdoc2b macrumors 6502a

the geek squad at best buy can try to recover it if u go for them.