Accessing a disabled iMac G5's hard drive

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by charlottend, Jul 25, 2008.

1. charlottend macrumors newbie

I have an iMac G5 with a broken graphics card. As a result it won't get past the start up screen when booting. I have a new mac on the way, but I'm wondering what would be the easiest/cheapest way to access my files on the old iMac.

I've read about taking the HD out and using a SATA/USB connector to attach it to the new computer as an external HD. Is that my best option, or is there a way to boot the iMac and just access the HD via the iMac's firewire/usb ports.

I've run the CD diagnostic tests and it says everything is fine, except the graphics card.

Thanks for any advice.

2. teleromeo macrumors 65816

teleromeo

Get a firewire cable and another mac. Connect the both with the cable and start your defective mac in target mode holding the "T" key. The hard drive will mount on your other mac.

Edit : get a firewire cable and start your new mac, on a certain point in the initial startup procedure you will be able to use the migration assistant that comes with every new mac.

3. charlottend thread starter macrumors newbie

Great. That's what I was hoping was possible in some way. I guess now the only question is whether the iMac will start in Target mode. Safe mode didn't work when holding the shift key, but diagnostic tests booting from a cd worked.