Accessing a file via Samba

Discussion in 'macOS' started by causeisunknown, Aug 27, 2012.

1. causeisunknown macrumors newbie

Hi all,

I do not have enough experience for Mac OS. I want to implement QT to my project and play movies on intranet.

On Windows, I can play the movie with the following address:
    \\172.16.0.120\Share\sample.mpg

On Mac, I can't play the movie with the following address:
    sbm://172.16.0.120/Share/sample.mpg

When I wrote this address on Safari, Mac OS tried to open "sample.mpg" folder which does not exist...

2. simsaladimbamba

Can you access the file via Finder and that address (CMD+K)?

3. causeisunknown thread starter macrumors newbie

I can access the file via "Finder" -> "Go" -> "Connect to Server", and then I am clicking all folders...

I can access the file with the following address If I map this MAPPED-PC (172.16.0.120):
    file:///Volumes/MAPPED-PC/Share/sample.mpg

4. GermanyChris macrumors 601

GermanyChris

The answer is yes..

CMD+K is connect to a server

5. causeisunknown thread starter macrumors newbie

But I still can not access with "sbm://172.16.0.120/Share/sample.mpg", isn't there a way to do this with smb?

Can sbm (Samba protocol?) direct access a file or is this protocol only for directory accessing?

6. Mal macrumors 603

Mal

I assume you aren't typing sbm, right? As you stated right next to it, it should be smb. That said, are you sure that's the correct starting point for the SAMBA path? i.e., is the Share folder inside of the folder that is the root of the SAMBA share?

jW

7. causeisunknown thread starter macrumors newbie

I am sure the Share folder inside of the folder that is the root of the samba share.

I can write down my code, maybe it can help a bit.

This html code works on windows:
    Code:
    <object classid="clsid:02BF25D5-8C17-4B23-BC80-D3488ABDDC6B" width="352" height="352" codebase="http://www.apple.com/qtactivex/qtplugin.cab#version=7,3,0,0" id="qt">
      <param name="src" value="blank.mpg">
      <param name="enablejavascript" value="true">
      <param name="postdomevents" value="true">
      <param name="autostart" value="false">
      <param name="qtsrcdontusebrowser" value="true">
      <param name="qtsrc" value="\\172.16.0.120\Share\Sample.mpg">
      <param name="scale" value="tofit">
      <embed src="blank.mpg" width="352" height="352" pluginspage="http://www.apple.com/quicktime/download/" name="qt" id="movie_embed1" enablejavascript="true" postdomevents="true" autostart="false" qtsrcdontusebrowser="true" qtsrc="\\172.16.0.120\Share\Sample.mpg" scale="tofit">
    </object>
    but this does not work on mac:
    Code:
    <object classid="clsid:02BF25D5-8C17-4B23-BC80-D3488ABDDC6B" width="352" height="352" codebase="http://www.apple.com/qtactivex/qtplugin.cab#version=7,3,0,0" id="qt">
      <param name="src" value="blank.mpg">
      <param name="enablejavascript" value="true">
      <param name="postdomevents" value="true">
      <param name="autostart" value="false">
      <param name="qtsrcdontusebrowser" value="true">
      <param name="qtsrc" value="smb://172.16.0.120/Share/Sample.mpg">
      <param name="scale" value="tofit">
      <embed src="blank.mpg" width="352" height="352" pluginspage="http://www.apple.com/quicktime/download/" name="qt" id="movie_embed1" enablejavascript="true" postdomevents="true" autostart="false" qtsrcdontusebrowser="true" qtsrc="smb://172.16.0.120/Share/Sample.mpg" scale="tofit">
    </object>
    When I wrote "file:///Volumes/MAPPED-PC/Share/sample.mpg" in address bar on Safari and hit the return button, movie starts inside of the Safari.

I could access file via "Connect to Server" and then I right-clicked the movie and then I selected "Get Info" and I saw "Server: smb://172.16.0.120/Share/Sample.mpg" in General panel...