Accessing a Mac Mini remotely through iPad Pro

Discussion in 'iPad' started by DavidLynch, Dec 9, 2015.

1. DavidLynch macrumors 6502a

I'd like to pick up an older (not ancient) Mac Mini and set it up to connect remotely with the iPad Pro. Basically, I'd like to have it plugged in and hidden away somewhere without a monitor, and then access it remotely from the ipad pro when I need to run occasionally task the iPad Pro isn't equipped for. Is this even possible? If so, has anyone tried something similar (i.e. having a small desktop that you only use remotely through an iPad)?

2. rwp macrumors member

Yes. I use "Screens" to remotely control my 27" iMac. I also use Transmit to access my Mac's file system and transfer files (like a personal 'cloud' file server). Both work great.

3. SBA macrumors member

I have a mini set up as a home server. I access it using an app called TeamViewer from my iPad (and iPhone and Android phone) with no issue.

When I set this up, it was the first app I came across that was free, so I went with it. I'm sure others have different (and probably better) suggestions.

4. Ghost31 macrumors 68000

Ghost31

I'm doing the same thing! I'm hearing more and more people doing our setup man. iPad pro is my main computing device while I'm gonna pick up a Mac mini I'll remote into when I need a desktop for whatever purpose. Already experimented with this app called "splash top" that works perfectly like this

5. DavidLynch thread starter macrumors 6502a

Essentially, all I need is a file manager and an FTP client that I can access from the iPad Pro. I'd probably use it as an additional backup for my files as well, but it certainly doesn't need to be high end. Basically the least expensive (and preferably small) desktop I can use for this task would be ideal, so it could be Windows instead I guess (again, if this is doable).

6. Ghost31 macrumors 68000

Ghost31

If I were you I wouldn't go for a windows based solution. But that's just me. The price of entry for the Mac mini is good enough for me

7. DavidLynch thread starter macrumors 6502a

I'd definitely rather not, but this is something I'll probably need to access a couple times a month max so I don't need a high level of performance. If I can get an older Mac Mini that would be my first choice.

8. adyf macrumors newbie

I use Google Chrome Remote Desktop to access my Macbook Pro and it works well. Doesn't transfer files as such apart from being able to send an email to yourself. Interested in the Transmit software mentioned further up the thread.

9. danmart macrumors 6502

danmart

I use Screens as my primary interface for my Mac Mini, which lives upstairs as my iTunes server.

Can't say that I feel the need to regularly move files around. I primarily use iCloud to share PDFs across multiple devices, but nothing more complex than that.

10. biosci macrumors 6502a

Screens doesn't work well with physical keyboards...

11. genomez macrumors member

I've also considered picking up a Mini, but I currently connect to my MBP using Splashtop and it works great.

12. adam9c1 macrumors 65816

adam9c1

Check out Parallels Access app. It is a software as service / yearly fee.

13. haruhiko macrumors 68040

haruhiko

I have been using Splashtop for that.

14. cheezeit macrumors 6502

No chance getting a mouse like functionality when remote-in is there?

15. Che Castro macrumors 603

I was using logmein but dropped them when it became a paid service

I did try teamviewr but it was not as good

checked "screens" but the iOS app is $20

Any good free alternatives ?

16. garyleecn macrumors 6502a

Parallels access is good.

Don't forget to get a dummy hdmi adapter, otherwise you won't get best resolution

17. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

Splashtop lets you emulate a mouse somehow -- not sure exactly how, as I don't use it myself, but my partner is constantly on Splashtop, controlling his iMac and Windows machines from his iPad and sometimes even from his iPhone. The iMac screen went bonkers a few months back, so removing through the iPad is the only practical way to do anything on it. I'd never do this myself, but it seems to be working for my partner.

18. danmart macrumors 6502

danmart

With Screens you just tap on the screen where you want the mouse pointer to go, and hold longer to force a click if necessary. You can also drag.
    In terms of a keyboard I'm personally comfortable with the on-screen keyboard from my iPad, so that isn't a factor for me.

I wouldn't want to use my Mac intensively via Screens, but for the usage @DavidLynch is suggesting it is probably sufficient?

19. whi5tler macrumors member

whi5tler

20. mlovergaard macrumors 6502

mlovergaard

I use teamviewer and have been happy with it so far, even works from half way around the globe.

21. DNichter macrumors 68020

DNichter

I have been using Screens with my iPad Air 2 and it's been working great. I have been wanting to go iPad only for a while now and this has allowed me to handle the 2 tasks I need a computer for, remotely. The iPad Pro has been tempting, but I think I am going to wait for generation 2. I anticipate it being much improved and with better software.

22. TurboPGT! Suspended

You anticipate iPad Pro 2 being better than 1?!?!?! Shocker.

Here's another shocker: You'll be waiting until 2017 for it.

No reason to wait, iPad Pro has already nailed it.

23. DNichter macrumors 68020

DNichter

Maybe you are right. I just don't see a huge need for it right now and figure I might as well wait to see what comes with iOS 10 and iPad Pro 2. I think that could be the point where it is fully realized. I know it has great hardware (and will be updated to iOS 10), but I have just been going back and forth regarding the size of it. I like the portability of the Air 2 and don't see a huge difference between the 2 besides screen size (performance feels the same, don't have a use for keyboard or pencil). Definitely tempting though, glad you like it. Seems like a great product.

24. Jari macrumors newbie

Is it possible to have two simultaneous and independent remote desktop connection from iPads to OS X machine?
    I mean that two separate iPad user can establish remote desktop connection from their iPads without disturbing each other

25. WilliamG macrumors 604

I emailed the developers. Screens 4, shipping next month, should take care of that.