Accessing A Mac With Another Mac From A Remote Computer

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by WCWalker, Dec 13, 2007.

1. WCWalker macrumors newbie

Is it possible to use a Mac in one location and then use it to access another Mac computer via the internet across town? I guess iDisk does something similar except that you are accessing your own files that have been uploaded to a Mac server. I'd like to be able to access the contents of a second Mac computer a few miles distant, if it is possible.

2. redAPPLE macrumors 68030

redAPPLE

if you have apple remote desktop, this should not be any problem.

of course, the computer must be configured to be accessed remotely...

3. WCWalker thread starter macrumors newbie

4. heatmiser macrumors 68020

Is there a way to do this with two computers running Tiger, *without* a .Mac account?

5. redAPPLE macrumors 68030

redAPPLE

you can use cotvnc or as i previously stated ard.

6. agentphish macrumors 65816

agentphish

Apple Remote Desktop is your solution.
    Just make sure you research what ports need to be open in your router for the machine you're trying to control if it is behind one. ARD would not work properly for me until I did that.

I live in PA, I now access machines in OH, MD, PA, Washington DC, NJ, and NY to help friends and family with problems via Apple Remote Desktop...It's the best remote access client I've ever used. It blows Windows Remote Desktop Connection away.

7. odinsride macrumors 65816

odinsride

8. Inkdipt macrumors newbie

Once you make the appropriate settings on your mac at home or where you would like to access from a different location you can access it using Jolyfastvnc which is free. I use this, have tried others but like it the best seems to be the fastest and most reliable.