Accessing a printer on XP with Leopard

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by ryanwils, Jan 24, 2008.

1. ryanwils macrumors newbie

Hey everyone,

I was just wondering if anyone could help me out. I have a Black Macbook running Leopard 10.5.1, and also a Desktop PC running XP. The printer is always hooked up to the desktop because the Macbook is in my room. For some reason, even if I have it shared on XP and on the same network, I can't access the printer. If I hook up the printer to the Macbook I can easily access it on my desktop using bonjour, but it is a hassle to always move the Macbook around to and from the home office to get to print things. Is there ANY way that I can access it through my desktop to access it wirelessly?
    Thanks!

2. richard.mac macrumors 603

richard.mac

i had trouble with this too and i couldnt work out how to print after i added the printer through system preferences.

i ended up using CUPS which is the open source printing system in Unix to add the printer. for the instructions take a look at post #10 here

3. ryanwils thread starter macrumors newbie

Tried it out...

Hello, thanks for the response. I tried it out, and it turns out that there is no PPD file for my printer, it is an HP officejet 5510, and for some reason I can't find the PPD file anywhere. Any suggestions or alternatives?