Accessing a shared folder from anywhere in the world?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by macdoobie, Feb 23, 2008.

1. macdoobie macrumors member

Hello! I have a laptop always connected to the internet at home with a Shared folder I need to access from various hotspots/company wireless with my other laptop.

At home on my wireless network I can connect to this shared folder by Cmd + K and connect to smb://[name of computer].

But the same thing doesn't work outside of my wireless network.

Any hints? :p

PS.: The laptop I need to connect to is Windows Vista. And the laptop I am using about in various locations is a MB 10.5.2

2. chris315 macrumors newbie

3. richard.mac macrumors 603

richard.mac

try "smb://your laptop's external IP"

you will need to contantly go to a site like "whatismyip.com" on the laptop to find your external IP or set a static external IP with your ISP at a cost.

you will then need to open ports in you laptop's firewall in which i dont know.

VNC would be fine. it would be the same principle "vnc://your laptop's external IP".

Leopard has a VNC client already built in so youre ready to go but if you have Tiger or earlier you need to download a VNC client such as Chicken Of The VNC. then on the laptop download TightVNC and start the VNC server. it will ask you if you want to unblock it in the windows firewall. you would then need to open port 5900 on your router. make sure you set a password in Screen Sharing preferences.

4. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

Or you can use a dynamic dns site/software. e.g. http://www.dyndns.com/