Accessing a Toshiba portable HDD

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by norskbear, Jul 22, 2010.

1. norskbear macrumors newbie

hi everyone, new Macbook user here.
    I have migrated from Windows PC to Mac yesterday. First time user!!!
    so far so good but i have a problem accessing a toshiba HDD which i copied files from my previous windows system.
    the HDD doesn't even appear in Finder or anywhere else.
    I plug in usb port and nothing happen.

Any ideas?

Thx in advance.

2. marioosh80 macrumors newbie

Re: Accessing a Toshiba portable HDD

Connect the HDD click on Apple menu > About this Mac > More Info...
    You should get System Profiler. Navigate to USB section and check if external hard drive is present. If yes this is a problem with recognising/mounting USB devices if no - hardware failure.

Good luck!

3. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

Does it show up in Applications / Utilities / DIsk Utility?

Have you checked Finder preferences for showing external HDDs on the Desktop (Preferences > General) or in the Sidebar (Preferences > Sidebar)?

Also have a look at the following links, as the information presented there might be helpful in your future endeavours into Mac OS X and could clear up initial confusion and may even prevent harm to your system or your files.

Mac OS X Basics
    Switch 101 - guide with articles made by Apple on how to accustom yourself, after you switched to Mac OS X from Windows​

Mac 101 - How to get started with Mac OS X​

Find out how - tutorial videos made by Apple on how to do certain thing in Mac OS X​

Pro tips - tips made available by Apple for easier ways of doing certain tasks​

Mac OS X Keyboard Shortcuts - Learn about common Mac OS X keyboard shortcuts.​

Mac OS X Beginner's Guide by MacRumors - learn about software, media players, shortcuts and some useful tips, tricks and hints​

Mac Guides - tutorials, product guides and more​

MRoogle - a very effective tool to search these fora using Google and made available by edesignuk, introductory threads: 1, 2 and 3

4. iBookG4user macrumors 604

iBookG4user

Open Disk Utility (search for it using spotlight), does the hard drive show up with your main hard drive in the Disk Utility window? Also, if the USB cable has two plugs, do you have both of them plugged in to your MacBook?

5. norskbear thread starter macrumors newbie

thanks for all the answers.

i tried it this morning and it is now showing up in Finder :confused::confused:

Maybe it just needed an old-fashioned reboot!

Thx again.