Accessing (and controlling) one mac from another: is it possible?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by bking1000, Jan 5, 2009.

1. bking1000 macrumors 6502a

My dad went to Florida with his brand new Mac (also, new to Mac from PC). Of course, he now has all these issues and questions which he just can't seem to solve when we are on the phone (for example, he doesn't understand the difference between his Mac hardware, OSX, the Broswer and Zillow -- to him they are all "the internet," so phone support is very painful.)

I'd like to take control of his machine and just install some software remotely and do some tweaks that he needs. I thought Leopard could do this, but I'm having trouble getting a help/source page on how to do this.

Is this possible with just Leopard (i.e. without 3rd party add-ons) and if so, does anyone have any basic directions, or a link to directions, to do it?

Thanks.

2. bartelby macrumors Core

iChat allows screen sharing. It's a little slow but works fine.

3. bking1000 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Thanks for the tip.

I've never used iChat, but on my work PC, I have AOL IM and I also have a Mac account. Does iChat require an IM account of some type (I'm assuming yes) and, if so, can it be any IM, or .mac (er, .me) only?

4. bartelby macrumors Core

It allows AIM.

You need iChat on both computers.

5. lee.anderson macrumors regular

lee.anderson

Yep, its built right into leopard.
    Go to system preferences, click on sharing, and then "Screen Sharing". Its pretty self explanatory from there on, but your dad will have to do the same.

6. bking1000 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Beans! That looks the ticket. I'll try it out tonight. Don't know why I brain cramped. I was looking all in applications and utilities. Didn't even think to look in preferences.

7. Darth.Titan macrumors 68030

Darth.Titan

Using screen sharing over the internet is a bit more involved than over a local network.
    Here's one page that discusses the ins and outs.