Accessing Blocked Programs on Mac, such as terminal

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by TheAshAtomic, Mar 8, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TheAshAtomic macrumors newbie

Can someone pleases tell me a way to access terminal on Mac if it's blocked? Your will be deeply appreciated, I'm at school and its blocked.

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Yes. Get your own Mac to access those apps. The school blocked them on their computers for a reason.

3. TheAshAtomic thread starter macrumors newbie

4. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

Then ask your system administrator to unblock it from your account. If you have a legitimate reason, he or she should have no problem with giving you access.

5. TheAshAtomic thread starter macrumors newbie

well the problem is that the administrator is from the school district board, if it was from our school then i would have asked. I just need a way to access it without an administrator unblocking it. I need a way to unblock terminal.

6. old-wiz macrumors G3

7. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

I think it's more accurate to say you want a way to unblock terminal. You don't need it. If this is the only reason you joined this site, you're likely to be disappointed.

8. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

If you are currently blocked there is either a good reason or it is an error. I assume you know the best point of contact to help you if there is an error. You cannot access Terminal if it is blocked on your account.

9. TheAshAtomic, Mar 8, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 8, 2011

TheAshAtomic thread starter macrumors newbie

to use some programming codes, ive learnt like java codes and all. People say i could use terminal to learn programming. I joined this websitge because, im not very familiar with mac. In my old school we had windows, so im used to windows more than mac.

to use some programming codes, ive learnt like java codes and all. People say i could use terminal to learn programming. I joined this websitge because, im not very familiar with mac. In my old school we had windows, so im used to windows more than mac.

well the problem is that, terminal is blocked

10. GGJstudios, Mar 8, 2011

GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Don't you understand what we've been saying? Terminal is blocked for a reason. Leave it alone. They don't want kids using Terminal and screwing things up because they don't know what they're doing. It's not your Mac. If you want to use Terminal, get your own Mac.

11. waynep macrumors 6502

The computers belong to the school right? They blocked the terminal . . . So the right thing to do is ask the school for terminal access.

12. TheAshAtomic, Mar 8, 2011

TheAshAtomic thread starter macrumors newbie

the admin of the school network, comes once a blue moon

well thanks for your advice, it helps my current problem, thank u

13. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

So wait till the blue moon. It sounds like their Parental Controls are working as intended.

14. TheAshAtomic thread starter macrumors newbie

not really we can still access videos, music websites and download things, so the parental controls are messed up. We can access all those yet we cant even access notepad! or what i was trying to access, terminal.

15. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Parental controls can allow access to videos and websites, even downloading, but still restrict other activities. It sounds like the restrictions are, indeed, working.

16. TheAshAtomic thread starter macrumors newbie

we cant access youtube but we can access google videos. we cant access a simple application well known as notepad. We arent allowed to go to music websites yet we can still visit a few. So it seems the parental controls arent working. I just need a way to bypass to access simple applications like notepad, but if u can help access terminal, that will be great.

17. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

We will not help you circumvent the restrictions put in place by your school. How many times do you have to hear that before you get it?

18. TheAshAtomic thread starter macrumors newbie

maybe a few thousand, but its ridiculous why we cant even access notepad! never mind about terminal.

19. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

OK:
    Answer: No! (copy and paste as many times as necessary)

20. TheAshAtomic thread starter macrumors newbie

yo people thanks anyway, i appreciate u took ur time to answer my Q's

21. ufkdo macrumors 6502

Even an extra space or comma or dot may screw the system up in terminal. Terminal is there just for professional users (e.g. if you put a space between ~ and / with force delete command, all your library files will be deleted immediately and there is no way to get them back if you don't have any backup). So, I strongly recommend you to leave Terminal alone, until you get more familiar with Mac Os X.

Besides, I don't think there is another way to unblock it then administrator panel.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.