Accessing Exchange Server with Mail

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by giovannifreda, Feb 23, 2008.

1. giovannifreda macrumors newbie

I have mail, the default mac mail app. I want to access my companies exchange server with mail. Any Help? The server admin has no idea what to do and the exchange how-to only details for outlook?

2. larkost macrumors 6502a

Your mail admin has to have IMAP enabled. If it is enabled, then you are good to go. Otherwise it is not going to work.

And even if you go to Entourage (Microsoft's email client for the Mac), your mail admin stall has to have IMAP enabled.

3. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

Every installation of Microsoft's Exchange Server is a custom installation. Only someone on your firm's IT staff can help you if you have trouble. Your server administrator does not have clue. This is not unusual.

There is something that you can do to help yourself. Find a Windows machine that uses Outlook to access your Exchange server. Go through its settings and write them down.

On your Mac, launch Mail and then use its Exchange setup wizard to try to enter those settings. This is not guaranteed to work. If it doesn't work, then you may try to setup your Exchange account as an IMAP account, which may or may not work. Failing to setup your account in Mail, then you may try it in Microsoft's Entourage 2004 or Entourage 2008.

Personal Experience: My firm uses Exchange. When I first upgraded to MacOS X, I was able to setup my account in Mail using its Exchange settings. It was far better than Entourage 2004. Unfortunately, my firm "upgraded" its server a few months later. The "upgrade" disabled Mail. Now, I must use Entourage 2004 or Entourage 2008. Under MacOS 9, Outlook 2001 works like a charm--an old charm with chipped paint.