Accessing external drive across network

Discussion in 'macOS' started by berone, Nov 20, 2008.

1. berone macrumors member

I recently got a MacBook to replace my Toshiba WinXP machine. I use a Mini with 3 external drives as a server, to which the laptop is backed up. The drives are accessed using Sharepoints. With XP I had no problems backing up and accessing the files as needed. With the MacBook I bumped into a variety of permission errors when I tried to access the files from the server. I finally checked "Ignore Ownership" and that seems to have made the files available, but I still get the do not enter icon on the directories. Clicking on the directory allows it to open, but it is annoying. My wife has the same problem, first with her ibook and now with her new MacBook. It causes problems with certain applications, as well.
    Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,
    Anthony

2. bengal85 macrumors regular

bengal85

I dont think you can acess an external drive attached to another machine acrossed a network. unless you can set that drive to be shared.

If you can this would be how its done (with windows)
    1. go to the drive right click then select properties
    2. then if you can share it up along the top will be a tab that says sharing

its with in this tab that you will find the sharing controls

3. berone thread starter macrumors member

There are no longer any Windows machines in this network. I couldn't find a way to share an external drive natively from OS X which is why I'm using the shareware program Sharepoints to do it. I can access the external drive on the Mac Mini and back up to it, but when I try to access those backed up files from my MacBook I run into the above mentioned permissions problems. Sorry if I was unclear in the original post.

Thanks,
    Anthony

4. belvdr macrumors 601

Can you check the file and folder permissions. It sounds like the user ID on the mini does not equal the user ID on the other system. Thus, it may not have the appropriate permissions set.

How are you sharing these? Over NFS or SMB? I think SharePoints allows you to control the user/group permissions in the share.

5. berone thread starter macrumors member

The user name and password are the same on both computers. I had set it up that way, but I just double checked. Sharepoints does allow you to set permissions and everything is set to r/w. By default Sharepoints has AFS and SMB enabled and I left it with the default settings. The firewall on both machines is turned off. The permissions on the drive are set to r/w, but I can't find an option to set the permissions per user. Could that be the issue? If so, where would I set those permissions?

Thanks,
    Anthony