Accessing External Hard Drive on XP

Discussion in 'macOS' started by binj112, Dec 10, 2007.

1. binj112 macrumors newbie

I have two computers hooked up on a network in my student house. 1 is my WIndows PC and the other is my macbook with an external hard drive connected to it. How can I access my external hdd on my windows pc? I am running Leopard btw.

Thanks!

2. Arne macrumors regular

Hi,

maybe your PC won't work with your because your PC does not have USB 2.0 or so, but this is not likely the case unless your PC is rather old.

If your PC can use the external HDD, it most likely won't mount the Volume on it (that's where the files are), ceause it is formatted as HFS+. Windows isn't capeable of HFS+, so you won't be able to access the files unless you use some tool/driver, that makes Windows read the HFS+-Partition. I have seen a commercial of MacDrive, but I guess it's not free. You can google for another free tool. You could also use Linux, which I think has HFS+ compatibility.

I hope I could help

3. richard.mac macrumors 603

richard.mac

do you want to access it over the network or by USB as Arne suggested above? either way i think the external has to be formatted to NTFS or FAT32.

if you want to connect it to your pc by USB you can use macdrive to read/write without reformatting.

4. Arne macrumors regular

I think (I'm quite sure indeed) that it does not have to be formatted as FAT32 or NTFS, if you want to access it via Network.