Accessing External Hard Drive thru Airport

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by Scott09, Oct 27, 2009.

1. Scott09 macrumors newbie

Hello All,

I’m curious if anyone accesses an external hard drive through their airport for video (i.e. accessing video for Final Cut, and importing to hard drive from digital camcorder) and if anyone has issues doing so or maybe just some advise in setting up such a network.

Scott

2. slapguts macrumors 6502a

slapguts

For transfers, I'd go firewire or usb. I have a 320gb external hooked to my Airport Extreme, and even though I'm on an N only network, it still isn't what I'd call fast.

Works great for streaming movies and Time Machine, though.

3. crhudy1985 macrumors regular

I am planning on setting up my wireless system the same way. I don't plan on transferring files remotely, just accessing them wirelessly. I am just wondering if the external drive will just show up with the drives in finder or if I am going to have to access it a different way. Any description of the current system one has would be helpful as well.

4. slapguts macrumors 6502a

slapguts

I have a 320gb HDD hooked to a USB hub with a printer into an Airport Extreme, and have the network running as N only. It works great for streaming movies and my iTunes library.

The external shows up in the left Finder pane under "Shared", works just like a regular external.