Accessing external iTunes library via iPad

Habitus

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 26, 2009
Where ever my life takes me...
All,

I have an extensive iTunes library on my Mac Book Pro.

I recently purchased an iPad and I want to know if there is an app that allows me to access my Mac's iTunes library and stream the contents to my iPad?

I appreciate any guidance as I hope there's a solution.

Thanks, all.

- Habitus :apple:

eagandale4114

macrumors 65816
May 20, 2011
All,

I recently purchased an iPad and I want to know if there is an app that allows me to access my Mac's iTunes library and stream the contents to my iPad?

Thanks, all.

Turn iTunes on.
Go to advanced>turn on home sharing
turn it on

on your iPad
settings>music
turn on sharing on there too

when you go to the music app you should see a shared icon. Click on that and click on your iTunes library.

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT3819?viewlocale=en_US&locale=en_US

Last edited:

Habitus

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 26, 2009
Where ever my life takes me...

eagandale4114

macrumors 65816
May 20, 2011
This definitely helps, any solutions if I want to access my library outside my wifi connection?
If you have an internet connection on your iPad you could try out iTunes match. It stores your music in the cloud and if you ever need to listen to a song that you don't have with you at the time you can download it.

88 King

macrumors 6502
Jun 18, 2011
London, UK
Try out PLEX, it a free media server programme on your mac and you can buy an iOS app to access it via local, remote wifi or mobile network.

thatoneguy82

macrumors 68000
Jul 23, 2008
Beach Cities, CA
All,

Thanks, all.

If you have less than 25,000 songs, iTunes match is the best way to go. I have my entire library on it and all my iDevices are synched together and I can access it whenever, where ever I want. Through my iPad, iPhone, MBP, AppleTV, etc. I believe its $25/year, which is cheap for what it does especially since it replaces your lower quality songs with the better ones that are offered in the iTunes store.