Accessing files in iPhone 3GS

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by sadievan, Feb 24, 2011.

1. sadievan macrumors regular

Sorry for the cross post. I originally posted this in the Hacks forum. I guess that was the wrong place. I don't want to jailbreak my phone.

Can someone recommend a program that will allow me to access the files on my iPhone from my computer. Have an iPhone 3GS and computers running Win 7 64bit and Vista 64 bit. Also have access to one with xp service pack 3.

Would prefer to use the Win 7 64 bit computer if possible.

Need to access the folder for my Kindle app to side load some ebooks.

I did get iPhone Explorer to load on my Win 7 64 bit laptop. I could access the folders, but it would not let me copy a file over. I was trying to side load an ebook into the kindle app.

I got it to work ok on my little netbook running win 7 starter 32 bit, but I would prefer to use my laptop running win 7 64 bit.

Thanks,
    Carol

2. jasvncnt macrumors 6502

3. sadievan thread starter macrumors regular

Yes. Before I installed the program, I selected run as Win XP and run as admin. Then after it installed, I made sure it was running as admin. I can actually open the folders on the 64 bit laptop, I just can't transfer any files to it. I get the circle with the slash. I'm thinking it is something to do with 64 bit cause it won't work on my desktop which is running Vista 64 bit.

I wonder if anyone has tried DiskAid and if that is any good?

Carol

4. jasvncnt macrumors 6502

hmmm thats strange. It supposed to support 64 bit. I have used Disk Aid and it works pretty good.

5. UngratefulNinja macrumors 68000

UngratefulNinja

I use disk aid but you have to be jail broken to access those files.

6. sadievan thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks. Is your phone jailbroken with Disk Aid. I really don't want to jailbreak my phone.

I did email support and they are looking into it. It seems like it is an issue with 64 bit.

Carol

7. sadievan thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks. I really don't want to jailbreak my phone. So you're saying to access the apps folders the phone has to be jailbroken with Disk Aid.

Carol

8. rjohnstone macrumors 68040

rjohnstone

The ONLY way to access the file system (read/write) on an iPhone is to jailbreak it first.

9. sadievan thread starter macrumors regular

I was able to sideload ebooks to my iphone using iphone explorer on my 32 bit machine but it won't work on my 64 bit machine.

Carol

10. sbddude macrumors 6502a

Why not?

11. sadievan thread starter macrumors regular

Don't want to run the risk of bricking it or anything. There is really no reason I would have to jailbreak it.

Carol

12. rjohnstone macrumors 68040

rjohnstone

It's a hack upload to the iPhone using iTunes as a surrogate. You're only writing to the user media space which is unprotected space anyway.
    The databases that contain the file list for this space is never updated though because it is protected.

The app cannot touch the root file system or any of the databases directly unless the phone is jailbroken.

As for your Win 7 64 bit issue, try and run the app in compatibility mode with admin rights.

13. rjohnstone macrumors 68040

rjohnstone

You can't brick an iPhone with a jailbreak.
    You can mess it up pretty bad if you tried hard enough, but a simple restore brings it back to factory specs.

14. sadievan thread starter macrumors regular

I have run it in both xp compatible and admin rights. I also right clicked on the install file and did the same for that before I installed the program.

Thanks,
    Carol

15. sadievan thread starter macrumors regular

Just an update. I did get DiskAid to work on my unjailbroken iphone. Had to go into 'Preferences\Advanced' and make sure 'show root path of apps' is checked.

Thanks everyone for your input.

Carol