Accessing files on another macbook

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by stink91, Dec 29, 2011.

1. stink91 macrumors newbie

alright ive been looking for days...heres my problem. my wifes macbook pro has the blankscreen problem. were worried about her files and recovering them. ive tried using target disk mode with my macbook... but she has a password setup so i dont think its letting me see her files. so is there a way to connect my macbook to hers as an external monitor so i can go in and get her music and picture files onto my external HD?? please help...ive been searching everywhere!! and we just need to get to her files off safely to get some work done... thanks in advance!

2. stink91 thread starter macrumors newbie

yeah ive been thru the troubleshooting!!

there is a firmaware password.....so is there any way around this??? like i said as using my computer a an external monitor?

3. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

What exact model is the Mac and what version of Mac OS X? On earlier Macs you can change the amount of RAM installed to reset a firmware password, but I understand it doesn't work on the newest models.

4. stink91 thread starter macrumors newbie

hey thanks for the help

the one with the blank screen is a macbook pro 10.5.4 i think running leopard and mine is a normal macbook 10.4.11 and i think tiger. so the macbook pro is the one with the password we need to access.! but if we can reset the ram will we lose her files??

5. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

No, changing the amount of RAM installed has nothing to do with what's stored on a hard drive.

6. stink91 thread starter macrumors newbie

alright

so how would i go about changing the ram?? and as i said it has a blank screen so i cant access it unless thru my macbook. and then will messing with the ram affect anything else or change my memory?? sorry weve had macs for a while but arent big on techy stuff!! so alot is confusing ha ha! main thing is were worried about losing all our music and pic files!!

7. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Open the MacBook and pull out a RAM stick. Then close up the MacBook and turn it on. It won't affect anything except the amount of RAM available, and should clear your firmware password. Once that is done, put the RAM stick back and restart. None of this process affects your files. They're stored on the hard drive and will remain there, even if you pulled the hard drive out of the computer.

8. stink91 thread starter macrumors newbie

k

so yeah i saw this trick somewhere else actually!! and it will definitely work on a macbook pro from 2008?? thanks for the help....so i should be able to do this, and then enter it thru target disk mode right? oh and the other place i saw this trick they said to boot it back up holding command+option+p+r. thenit should chime 3 times...this sound about right to you? or not needed?

9. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Right.
    That's resetting NVRAM, which won't hurt.