Accessing hard drive using caddy or usb to sata?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by GC13, Aug 29, 2013.

  1. GC13 macrumors newbie

    Aug 29, 2013
    So my macbook pro (I think early 2008, before the unibody range) broke due to a broken logic board :(

    Apple said it would cost around £400 to fix, not worth it in my opinion as I was thinking of upgrading anyway.

    I would like to retrieve the files on my hard drive though.

    Could anyone suggest how I could do this? Apple suggested a device called a caddy, which I believe is basically a hard drive dock.

    I'm just confused as to which to get as I'm not familiar with the different types of hard drives (or is it a one dock fits all?) Or could I get just a hard drive to usb cable?

    It doesn't have to be anything that reads the data fast as I'm probably just going to retrieve the files once.

    Any help at all would be much appreciated, thanks!
  2. takeshi74 macrumors 601

    Feb 9, 2011
    The process for sorting it out is fairly simple. The dock/caddy/cable needs to have an interface suited to both the hard drive and the machine you're connecting it to.

    If you can't determine what interface your hard drive uses (either by Googling specs for your laptop or the hard drive itself) you can go to Everymac and pull up the specs for your MBP. They will tell you what interface your hard drive uses.

Share This Page