Accessing Hard drives plugged into a PS3

Discussion in 'Console Games' started by kcmezza, Dec 27, 2010.

1. kcmezza macrumors newbie

How do i access Hard drives or other devices plugged in via USB to my PS3 from my Mac?

Anyone know how?

Cheers

2. NicoleRichie macrumors 6502

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148a Safari/6533.18.5)

I'm pretty sure the PS3 can only read fat32 formatted hard drives. So most of the externals we use with Mac are not formatted for the PS3 to read.

3. Nuck81 macrumors regular

Going through this tonight actually. I am changing out the HDD in my PS3.

I had to partition off a section of my External HDD and format it to FAT. As soon as I plugged it into the PS3 it recognized it and let me start the backup process. Took it about an hour and a half to backup.

Swapped HDD and am now in the process of putting my backup onto the new HDD. It is a MUCH slower process, it cooked through the first 55% in about 45 minutes but it's taken over an hour to go from 55% to 64%. I assume it has hit the game installs and it's just a lot of info to process and write...

4. kcmezza thread starter macrumors newbie

I already have the hard drives connected to the PS3, and all my movies play off it, but, is there any way for me to access the hard drives through the network that the PS3 and Macbook pro are both connected on? sort of like a Media server

5. kcmezza thread starter macrumors newbie

Sorry, i worded the original post quite vaguely.