Accessing home Internet while away?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by BOSS10L, Apr 9, 2010.

1. BOSS10L macrumors 6502a

Hello. I apologize in advance if this question has been already answered, I did multiple searches that came up empty. I'm currently an adult student who is lucky enough to have a job where I can work on homework using my MB while at work.

Without going into too much detail about the crazy logistics of the two networks that are available here, this is the situation:

Up until last Sunday (it was working fine at about 11:45 Saturday night right before I left), I had always been able to use one particular network jack. I'd just plug in my RJ-45 (Cat 5) cable and power up the MB and be on my way. Well, when I came in on Sunday, the jack is dead. There are other jacks to this network in the building, but the closest one is about 75'-100' away. I'd just buy a longer cable, but I don't think they want me running RJ-45 across the office when I need to use it. Not only that, but the company that supplies that network will be moving out in June, and most likely shutting off all their jacks in the building.

Now, we have the other network here that is obviously still working, but I do not have the credentials to connect to it. When I plug in the network cable, I get the familiar "None of your preferred networks are available" dialogue box.

So my question is this - is there some way that I can tap into one of the existing networks and bypass the company stuff by just connecting to the Internet through the DSL account we have at home? I mean, if you have a network jack that is working, you don't need to have access to that particular network to get out onto the Internet as long as you have a login and password to a network, right?

Any help would be greatly appreciated. It's very tough to get things done here without access to the Internet from my MB.

2. BlueRevolution macrumors 603

BlueRevolution

Unless you live in the same building where you work, you'd need a mighty long cable to connect via your home internet.

3. BOSS10L thread starter macrumors 6502a

There isn't a way to log in remotely and use the Internet from home? Like for example. Say I went on a trip, and brought a laptop from work. The hotel I'm staying at has Internet jacks in the rooms. I plug in and log into the work network through that. Isn't there a way to do that with my home network?

I'm sorry if I'm being dense. I'm a semi-recent switcher, and have only dealt with Windows networking issues in the past. The Mac stuff (up to this point) has, well, just worked. :D

4. BlueRevolution macrumors 603

BlueRevolution

You'd need an internet connection to access your home network, at which point using the home internet connection is pretty redundant. Now, you can set your home network up to allow you to access files and such remotely, but there's no reason for you to use your home internet connection for browsing purposes. It's possible to do so via a proxy, but it doesn't eliminate the need for an internet connection on your end.

5. BOSS10L thread starter macrumors 6502a

Thanks. Sounds like I'm just going to have to get a longer RJ-45 cable and plug it in when needed. Oh well. I knew it was too good to last. :(

6. finnschi macrumors 6502

Mac Networks and Windows networks are the same :eek: its both Ethernet connection using TCP/IP Protocols....

I don't really understand what your company is doing with there ethernet jacks...... when you plug in a network cable and it reports none of your preffered networks ar aviable, it does not makes any sense since this is a message created by aiport and its meant for WIFI connections.... :p

YOu can use your DSL Credentials only at you House, with your modem, the company network is far more complicated(hopefully) than Telephone plug---> DSL Modem---> Laptop

So I guess the only think you want to do is to have access to the Internet :confused: , why don't you just ask you IN-Company IT Guy why your ethernet jack is not working anymore?

if you can't do this, you can also just get a mobile 3G/4G surf stick form Verizon/at&T/Sprint..... and connect to the WWW .... so many options but your explanation did not make any sense whatshowever

7. finnschi macrumors 6502

Wrong.

you can have a network jack running into a switch/Hub witch is conencted to nothing, you have a running connection but still no internet connection... The network you are talking about might be a internal network that is not meant to be connected to the internet,

think of the internet as a secondary HUGE network (called WAN, Wide area network)

You are most likely Conencted to a LAN(Local area network)
    that LAN needs to connect to the WAN via a Modem, there is nothing like a generall Username and Password for the Internet, the internet is FREE and can be accessed by anyone, those credentials are only for the company the provides you the access (cables, service and other infrastructure) , probably AT&T (or in your case even AOL...) , also called DSL Provider (can also be your cable company like comcast or time warner