Accessing iPhone data in backup files

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by pattinsonc, Dec 27, 2009.

1. pattinsonc macrumors newbie

hi all,

apologies if this has been covered before but I couldnt find anything specific to what I'm after.

I am trying to access the backup files for my iPhone 3Gs on my MacPro (same one my iPhone was activated with and registered against). I have located the folder in finder (library/application support/mobile sync/backup) and am presented with files names such as:

0ec252e0f01524bb8ce7e1662513748c25d573ead.mddata

some of these files are photos which I can see using command+Y function and I know I can copy them to desktop and rename as .jpg to access them as normal.

I use my SMS [and Y!M on iPhone] a lot for my work in communicating with clients. I need to be able to insert multiple SMS communications between different people in documented reports and my own emails and obviously cut and paste is the best way to do this. My question is does the iPhone back up 'notes' and SMS's individually like it does with the photos? If so, how do I identify which files they are (some are .mddata and some are .mdinfo, in total there are over 1,700 files!) and which programme do I have to use to open them so I can read and save them correctly outside of the backup folder?

Cheers all for any and all help or advice you can give !!

Best
    CP

ps - my backup is not encrypted

2. pattinsonc thread starter macrumors newbie

I found this site (http://insend.de/) which is able to retrieve the sms's which were on the ohone at the time of the last iTunes sync, using the backup file named 3d0d7e5fb2ce288813306e4d4636395e047a3d28.mddata .

As this seems to be currently available SMS's (i.e. those still on the phone at time of last backup) it's not ideal as I can cut and paste those from my iPhone SMS to an email and send it to myself and retrieve it in Entourage.

I'm looking to recover historical messages as well, as in whole conversations which I already deleted from my phone before my latest sync. (for security, I don't keep SMS's too long, in case I lose my phone and there's sensitive data on it). Is this possible?

I also haven't found a way of identifying and retrieving my notes (both current and historical).

Cheers again,
    CP

3. DocNYz macrumors 6502a

DocNYz

thanks guys for those two posts, they actually helped me a lot because I had gigabytes and gigabytes of video that I didn't need quadruple copies of etc!