Accessing mac formatted external HD from windows pc

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by cool11, Oct 8, 2016.

1. cool11 macrumors 65816

cool11

I want to be able to see my mac's external hard disk, in windows 10 pc.
    My ext HD has two partitions.

I used macdrive application in the past, and it was a long ago but I remember I could see this drive to pc. But no more.
    I use version 9.3.xxx in pc, and though I get no error from macdrive, I cant see mac drives in windows explorer.

Windows/pc understand that a drive is connected, as I can see it somehow in the taskbar, as a plugged-in drive. But it is not visible anywhere else. All I can do is just 'safely remove' it!

Can you help me finding a path to be able to access my mac disk from windows pc?

2. Tarek macrumors 6502

I don't think you can "access" it and view the files on Windows, but the HDD itself should be visible under disk management.

Also take a look here, maybe one of the suggestions can help you.

3. hwojtek macrumors 65816

hwojtek

Transmac on Windows. Windows Disk Management is pretty much useless in this scenario and will do exactly nothing.

4. rocknblogger macrumors 68020

rocknblogger

I use Macdrive v10 and I can read and write to the disk. As a matter of fact I've had since version 8 I think, and I was always able to R/W to my MacOS journaled drives.

5. cool11 thread starter macrumors 65816

cool11

Though I knew only about macdrive, and I think macdrive is a more mature product,
    thank you for letting me know about transmac.
    I tried it, it really works, even a little bit slow, and with less system integration than macdrive, but at least it seems to work, it is a solution for sure, even I want to continue the discussion for better alternatives. Disappointment also as it cannot open an encrypted dmg.
    --- Post Merged, Oct 11, 2016 ---
    Version 9.3 does not seem to work in windows 10, at least in my pc. Anybody know something related about this?

6. doynton macrumors 6502

The free paragon driver works fine for me.

They say it is for Windows 8 but it works fine for me and always has since the first preview of Windows 10.

Unlike the Apple HFS driver which gives you a BSOD if you try to make a restore point.

7. rocknblogger macrumors 68020

rocknblogger

I have version 10.1.1.1. So maybe you need to update to get it working again.

8. cool11 thread starter macrumors 65816

cool11

Free paragon driver for windows?
    First time I hear about it.
    Do you have a link?

9. ActionableMango macrumors 604

ActionableMango

Bootcamp drivers for read-only access.
    Paragon HFS for read/write access.

If this isn't a system/application drive and it's just a drive for content like documents and media, you can format the external drive as exFAT to have native read/write support from both Windows and OS X with no third party software needed.

However, exFAT is not a journaled file system, so the possibility of corruption or data loss is higher than with NTFS or HFS.