Accessing mac formatted external HD from windows pc

cool11

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 3, 2006
I want to be able to see my mac's external hard disk, in windows 10 pc.
My ext HD has two partitions.

I used macdrive application in the past, and it was a long ago but I remember I could see this drive to pc. But no more.
I use version 9.3.xxx in pc, and though I get no error from macdrive, I cant see mac drives in windows explorer.

Windows/pc understand that a drive is connected, as I can see it somehow in the taskbar, as a plugged-in drive. But it is not visible anywhere else. All I can do is just 'safely remove' it!

Can you help me finding a path to be able to access my mac disk from windows pc?

rocknblogger

macrumors 68020
Apr 2, 2011
New Jersey
I use Macdrive v10 and I can read and write to the disk. As a matter of fact I've had since version 8 I think, and I was always able to R/W to my MacOS journaled drives.

Reactions: 8692574

cool11

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 3, 2006
Transmac on Windows. Windows Disk Management is pretty much useless in this scenario and will do exactly nothing.
Though I knew only about macdrive, and I think macdrive is a more mature product,
thank you for letting me know about transmac.
I tried it, it really works, even a little bit slow, and with less system integration than macdrive, but at least it seems to work, it is a solution for sure, even I want to continue the discussion for better alternatives. Disappointment also as it cannot open an encrypted dmg.
[doublepost=1476185927][/doublepost]
I use Macdrive v10 and I can read and write to the disk. As a matter of fact I've had since version 8 I think, and I was always able to R/W to my MacOS journaled drives.
Version 9.3 does not seem to work in windows 10, at least in my pc. Anybody know something related about this?

Reactions: hwojtek

doynton

macrumors 6502
Oct 19, 2014
The free paragon driver works fine for me.

They say it is for Windows 8 but it works fine for me and always has since the first preview of Windows 10.

Unlike the Apple HFS driver which gives you a BSOD if you try to make a restore point.

cool11

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 3, 2006
The free paragon driver works fine for me.

They say it is for Windows 8 but it works fine for me and always has since the first preview of Windows 10.

Unlike the Apple HFS driver which gives you a BSOD if you try to make a restore point.
Free paragon driver for windows?
First time I hear about it.
Do you have a link?

ActionableMango

macrumors G3
Sep 21, 2010
Bootcamp drivers for read-only access.
Paragon HFS for read/write access.

If this isn't a system/application drive and it's just a drive for content like documents and media, you can format the external drive as exFAT to have native read/write support from both Windows and OS X with no third party software needed.

However, exFAT is not a journaled file system, so the possibility of corruption or data loss is higher than with NTFS or HFS.