Accessing my External Hard Drive Remotely

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by kodishj, May 17, 2012.

1. kodishj macrumors newbie

My hard drive is beginning to fill up on my Macbook (black, early 2008) and I have done what I can to clean it up manually and software-assisted. I had an external usb hard drive, but I recently lost it (sucks) and would like to find a way to store my music/movie files without having to buy another.

My parents have an external hard drive plugged into their iMac (running Snow Leopard, I have Lion) and I was wondering if it is possible to have some sort of administrative access to it remotely, so I can drop my files there. I believe it is a 1 TB Western Digital non-portable Mac hard drive. It's doesn't have NAS or cloud storage, just a usb hard drive. I feel like it is possible, I just don't know where to start. Pasted below is another thread I submitted, if you would like any more details:

[[[
    " I don't really have a specific outcome that I'm looking for here, but I would like to know where to start. First, I am trying to figure out the best way (software, OS X built-in, configurations, etc.) to remotely access a iMac at home from my Macbook. I have never done any remote management before, so I don't know too much about where to start. I've briefly looked into the system preferences options (file sharing, remote login, remote management, etc) and have played with each a little. First, what is the difference between remote login and remote management?

I want to be able to control my Mac at with as much administrative capabilities as I can. Should I use a VPN? I've looked into this the most because I want to have access outside of my home network. Is Apple Remote Desktop the software that I should be looking at?

One issue is that the operating system at home is Snow Leopard, and I am using Lion on my Macbook. What will this affect? I will eventually upgrade the other OS, but it would be better if I can set it up as it is.

If the VPN is the way to go, will I need to go into my home router settings and change all of the port forwarding configurations, or is there some software that will take care of that? I think I saw a program called Slink in the app store that claims it will cover the port forwarding configurations. I've heard that there are some security issues as well; how should I go about taking care of those?

Also, is it possible to have read/write access to an external hard drive connected to the home computer, with and/or without all the remote management set-up? It's not a server or NAS drive, just a regular mac-formatted drive.

Sorry for huge question dump, I'm just having a hard time finding these solutions in one place. Any help for any of these issues would be great. Thanks"
    ]]]

2. ScoobyMcDoo macrumors 65816

For remote controlling your mac, logmein is a good choice. For remote storage of files, use a cloud service like dropbox or google drive.

3. Embraer macrumors newbie

I'll vouch for Slink. Fantastic little program and not too expensive for what in enables you to do. iTunes sharing has been marginalised by the advent of iTunes Match but you can share any of your "shares" as well as print remotely and share your iPhoto library. The developer is quick to respond to any feedback and it's a godsend if you have a relative new to OSX who you need to screenshare with remotely :)

4. harddrivefailur macrumors newbie

Cloud services are always decent, but you really should just consider buying a new external hard drive. You can get a lot of 250 Gb older hard disk drives for sometimes under $50.

It sure beats waiting for your Internet connection to download massive files from a cloud server.