Accessing my friends MAC

Discussion in 'macOS' started by ccalleri, Aug 3, 2007.

1. ccalleri macrumors member

I'm sure this question has been asked before .. but here goes:

My Mac (at home behind a router), my friends Mac (at their house behind a router), how can I access their computer from mine via 'Connect to Server' (command+k) .. possible? If not command+k, how? I don't want to use a remote desktop client.

Thanks!
    cc

2. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

What do you want to do with their computer? Access files?

3. ccalleri thread starter macrumors member

Just wanna be able to copy files back and forth (drag and drop).

4. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

Well if they enable file sharing and forward the correct ports on their router you may be able to, alternatively get them to enable remote login (System Preferences==>Sharing==>Remote Login) and then forward port 22 through their router to their Mac and then use Cyberduck/Transmit to access their Mac via SFTP.

5. Scarlet Fever macrumors 68040

Scarlet Fever

Go to System Prefs -> Sharing, and tick Personal File Sharing on both computers. Open any window in Finder, and click the Network icon in the bar on the left side. After a few seconds, your friend's Mac should come up there. Enter their username and password (if they have one), and select the drive to open.

well, this method has worked for me. Give Eraserhead's method a go first, though. He beat me by about 60 seconds in the post :p

6. motulist macrumors 68040

motulist

That'll only work if you're networking to Macs on a local network, not over the net like it sounds like he might be trying to do. To do file sharing over the internet, do exactly what Scarlet Fever wrote, but your friend's Mac will NOT show up in your network browser.

You must get the internet address of your friend's Mac which will be listed in their file sharing system pref, it'll say something like "for other people to reach this computer they should connect to afp://112.62.52.255" Then on your computer in the finder just do "Go > Connect to Server" and type in that address.

7. yellow Moderator emeritus

yellow

This only works if you are on the same subnet.

Since they have routers, the friend will have to poke holes in his router to allow AFP traffic. If your friend doesn't have admin rights on the router, no go.

8. motulist macrumors 68040

motulist

It sounds like a lot of people responding in this thread really know their Mac networking stuff. I just posted a very related question in another thread, please read it and give me any ideas you might have.

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=337000

9. Scarlet Fever macrumors 68040

Scarlet Fever

:eek: looks like I mis-read the original post. At least I was half-helpful.

10. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

And SSH/SFTP requires the same thing, the best is probably just to email the files tbh.

11. Andy9589 macrumors newbie

I believe you can use the method where it shows up in the network when you are on the same network( ie you go over to his/her house or vice versa and connect to the same network)

12. adese macrumors member

adese

Enable AFP or SSH (sftp) on each side.

Each of you will have to forward either the AFP port or the SSH port to your IP behind the router in the router settings.

This will allow you to connect to his/her machine by doing afp://ip.ip.ip.ip or use sftp with cyberduck or something.

the key is the port forwarding on the router tho, otherwise it won't work when you try to connect directly to their ip address

13. ChrisBrightwell macrumors 68020

ChrisBrightwell

14. nplima macrumors 6502a