Accessing my home iMac from work

Discussion in 'macOS' started by msjones, Oct 20, 2008.

1. msjones macrumors 6502

msjones

Hi.

I have an iMac at home. I would like to be able to access it from my laptop at work.

How would I got about doing this?

I have my router all setup. I am on sky broadband and I have a web address which is automatically updated with my dynamic IP. When I used a windows PC I just had to forward any RDP requests to the IP of my PC. Does Mac OS X have a built in RDP server as windows or will I need some new software?

Many thanks

Matt

2. richard.mac macrumors 603

richard.mac

you use VNC. download and install Tight VNC on your PC and then forward ports 5900 in your router and type in your Macs public IP address. make sure a password is set in Sharing -> Screen Sharing -> Computer Settings.

3. msjones thread starter macrumors 6502

msjones

Thanks for the prompt reply. I know about VNC and im not really a huge fan, I would prefer RDP.

I have seen Apple Remote Desktop in the apple store. Would this do what I want?

4. yoppie macrumors 6502a

You may want to take a look at LogMeIn. The free version will probably do what you want it to do.

LogMeIn

5. richard.mac macrumors 603

richard.mac

RDP is Microsoft's proprietary remote desktop platform. Microsoft does an RDP app for Mac but its Mac -> PC and good luck getting that to work remotely http://www.microsoft.com/mac/products/remote-desktop/default.mspx.

VNC is open source and a lot better for Mac OS X and Linux trust me. Screen Sharing is the client version of Apple Remote Desktop and the actual Apple Remote Desktop application at the Apple Store is the server version which admins use to do installs, maintenance and deploy updates to remote Macs so you dont want that.

6. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

^ Definitely the easiest as it doesn't require forwarding ports and generally isn't impacted by business firewalls.

LogMeIn OS X Client.

7. myjay610 macrumors regular

LogMeIn is awesome, I'd high recommend that. It's super easy to use and way more secure than plain VNC. If you are going to use plain VNC you might want to use a ssh tunnel. I never remotely access my computers without VPN or SSH tunnel, usually.