Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

sultanoflondon

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 3, 2013
Hi all,

Is it possible for me to access my iMac worldwide using any software or something? I do not really like Apple's Remote Desktop 3; it is slightly too complicated for my need. My need is to basically access, read and write files, copy files and such like, that are on my iMac from an internet-enabled PC/Mac anywhere in the world.

Thanks in advance!

mvmanolov

macrumors 6502a
Aug 27, 2013
Hi all,

Is it possible for me to access my iMac worldwide using any software or something? I do not really like Apple's Remote Desktop 3; it is slightly too complicated for my need. My need is to basically access, read and write files, copy files and such like, that are on my iMac from an internet-enabled PC/Mac anywhere in the world.

Thanks in advance!

Server app $19 app store - file sharing and vpn... :D get a hostname from no-ip and updater client if you have a dynamic ip from your isp :D

sultanoflondon

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 3, 2013
Server app $19 app store - file sharing and vpn... :D get a hostname from no-ip and updater client if you have a dynamic ip from your isp :D

Is there any way to do it for free because I'll only be using this infrequently?

Thanks.

eladnova

macrumors regular
Aug 31, 2012
Would a solution such as Sincplicity solve your issues? Instead of having to leave your Imac on, you could just sync the files you need?

Lucianrider

macrumors member
Jan 1, 2012
St. Lucia, West Indies
Is there any way to do it for free because I'll only be using this infrequently?

Thanks.

I use Teamviewer for both Macs and windows PCs and it works incredibly well, and its free for personal use!

What I do when I am away, is set the iMac to turn on automatically at a particular time every day at a time that I will normally be around and able to connect via my Macbook Air. You will also need to make sure it won't sleep too soon, an hour should give you enough time to get access from the time it starts up.

Give it a try, I'm sure you will find it perfect for your use.

yjchua95

macrumors 604
Apr 23, 2011
GVA, KUL, MEL (current), ZQN
Hi all,

Thanks in advance!

You could setup your Mac as an FTP server.

http://osxdaily.com/2013/11/24/mac-setups-desk-cyber-security-professional/

In this link, you can look near the end of the page on how to set your Mac up as an FTP server.

dictoresno

macrumors 601
Apr 30, 2012
NJ
i use teamviewer to connect to my imac, kubuntu/win 7 netbook and desktops from my ipad and iphone with no issue.

sultanoflondon

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 3, 2013
Wow! Thanks for all of the replies!

T'hain Esh Kelch, I saw that in the Sharing pane of System Prefs. How would I use this please?

yjchua95, I'll have a look at that.

I'll have a look at sinplicity and teamvieer as well.

dictoresno

macrumors 601
Apr 30, 2012
NJ
Wow! Thanks for all of the replies!

T'hain Esh Kelch, I saw that in the Sharing pane of System Prefs. How would I use this please?

yjchua95, I'll have a look at that.

I'll have a look at sinplicity and teamvieer as well.

teamviewer is beyond simple and has an app for the iphone and ipad and is compatible with windows/mac/linux. theres no real reason to use any other app honestly.

madeirabhoy

macrumors 68000
Oct 26, 2012
teamviewer is surely the easiest, i use it all the time to get files from my home mac, from my work pc, plus since i am screensharing it also means ican open myemail app, do stuff using applications like photoshop, and also open sites to download things onto my mac whilst im not there.

it can be set up to automatically open at startup and you can set a permanent password.

mvmanolov

macrumors 6502a
Aug 27, 2013

Thanks.

of course you can... osx comes with all you need to create a vpn... just google it. I think open vpn is a good place toe start.
I wouldn't use FTP as that will not over nearly as much security as a vPN which you can control at a MAC address level...

good luck. I recommended the server app as it simplifies the process significantly and is relatively cheap.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.