Accessing my Mac from a PC

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Michael73, Aug 9, 2007.

1. Michael73 macrumors 65816

Here's the situation...I love Keynote (I just got iWork '08) and think it does a better job for presentations than PowerPoint. Unfortunately, I work on a PC at the office but am lucky enough to have a Mac Pro at home.

I'm seeking a solution that would allow me to access my home network from my Windows PC at work so that I could open Keynote and build presentations from the office. A reverse version of GoToMyPC for those who are familiar.

The logical step beyond this is that if I could access my Mac Pro via the internet from any Windows box then after the presentation is built I could be in LA on buisness, open a browser, access my box at home and use it to do the presentations.

Anyone got any solutions?

2. angelwatt Moderator emeritus

angelwatt

3. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

VNC is very slow, its not really practical for this, you need a Mac laptop of some sort if you want to do it on the go. Though for file exchange you can use WinSCP if you enable Remote Access with System Preferences==>Sharing==>Remote Access.

4. Bow Rekk macrumors member

I heard vine server for the mac would be a good choice. I'm pretty sure it is free. Use that as the VNC server and get a VNC client for your PC at work. I can't recommend as a VNC client for windows though. (I use chicken of the VNC for my mac but I'm using it the opposite way round from you... Unless you can get Chicken of the VNC for windows...)