Accessing old Firefox bookmarks from time machine after reformatting

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Joplin888, Nov 14, 2011.

1. Joplin888 macrumors newbie

I'm trying to access my old bookmarks from my time machine backup after I reformatted. I went to Users->Name->Library->Application Support->Firefox->Profiles->gobbledygook->bookmarkbackups. There are 5 files there with the extension .json. These files open to some sort of gibberish text. Also, I had a bajillion and seven bookmarks, not just five. I also tried opening Firefox and then accessing the time machine, thinking it would open the "old version" of Firefox, and I could open my bookmarks from there. It just switches back to the Finder when I open time machine. Any help will be very much appreciated. Thanks!

2. garycurtis macrumors 6502

I had the same problem prompted after Flash no longer worked and I had to convert to Safari. I'm running a G-4 Tower on 10.5.8.

My memory isn't quite clear, but I think rummaging in folders (the same ones you mentioned) only turned up non-compatible formats, someone on this forum suggested I start up Firefox and Export my bookmarks. And perhaps you could use your new browser to see if it has an Bookmark Import command. It was a hassle, and the Firefox website offered no support whatsoever.

Barring that, do a search here to see my thread of about 120 days ago. Or look at my posting history under my username: garycurtis

3. Bob Coxner macrumors 6502a

Use free, in the cloud, bookmarks storage/sync and never have to worry about such things again. Plus you can sync your bookmarks on all the computers you use.

www.xmarks.com is the one I use

4. wrldwzrd89 macrumors G5

wrldwzrd89

You can get at your Firefox bookmarks, but since I do not know what the previous version of Firefox was (and you may not be able to determine this anymore), you'll have to try some different things.
    The simplest method:
    • Download/install the latest Firefox from Mozilla (as of now that's 8.0 - assuming your computer supports it).
    • Open it. If asked to import data, tell it not to import anything.
    • Once that's done, go into Firefox's Bookmarks Manager.
    • Tell it to load from a backup file.
    • Navigate to the newest JSON file you have, and have it import that.
    • Your bookmarks should be auto-converted to the new format, and accessible at this point.
    • Now you can export them to HTML, and import them into any other browser of your choosing, if you wish.