Accessing OS X itunes library in Windows with Macdrive

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by NightLord, Aug 30, 2007.

1. NightLord macrumors regular

I have Windows XP on my macbook and have macdrive installed. I've set iTunes' music folder to my Music/iTunes/iTunes music folder in my OS X partition, but the music doesn't show up in iTunes in Windows.

Anyone know what I can do to get it working?

2. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

I think you set the level one level too far in, didn't you? I think you want to point to the iTunes folder and not the iTunes Music folder. Although I could be wrong.

3. plinden macrumors 68040

plinden

The iTunes default location is the folder containing the iTunes Music Library.xml so your config seems correct.

Still I can't help. I don't use MacDrive so I don't know what the issue could be.

4. apattee macrumors regular

you still have to drag all the songs into itunes, but make sure it doesn't copy the songs to a section in windows. works for me with macdrive.

5. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

Okay, I didn't get it at first, but now I think I know what your problem is, thanks to the post above.

You can hold down a key while starting iTunes to make it let you select the library location (this is different from setting it in preferences -- when you set it in preferences, it starts storing new files there; when you do it this way, it looks for a pre-existing library there).

In OS X, the key is Option. I think the key in Windows is Shift. So try loading iTunes with the shift key held down, and then navigating in the dialog to the Macdrive copy of the iTunes library.

6. NightLord thread starter macrumors regular