Accessing other users files

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by wackymacky, Nov 19, 2009.

1. wackymacky macrumors 68000

wackymacky

Really simple question.

While logged in to a mac (using 10.5) using an account with admin privileges ( the one that was set up on installation): How do I manipulate files in another users account ( my child's managed account) user>child'sname>documents?

The folder tells me I don't have sufficent privledges to access.

2. brad.c macrumors 68020

brad.c

Simply put, you can't from the finder.

Actually, that's not true :eek:.
    You can edit the permissions through the Get Info panel on each folder, forcing everyone to have read/Write privileges to the folder and contents. What I'm not sure about is how the permissions from your child's account will react to the changed files and new files you ad within their home directory.

3. PeggyD macrumors 6502a

I do this on Macs I have responsibility for. It saves having to switch users as often.

Get Info on the folder & give yourself read & write access. Click the gear & apply to all enclosed items. I do find that you sometimes have to repeat the process with some buried folders.

4. wackymacky thread starter macrumors 68000

wackymacky

Thanks I was beginning to thInk so. I suspect can if I used the root user, though this seems a little extreem to move files back and forth, though loving in and out and using ther shared folder is a pain in the butt.