Accessing PC files on a Mac?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by aaquib, Jun 20, 2008.

1. aaquib macrumors 65816

aaquib

I know there's a way in Finder to access your PC from a Mac, and it can find my PC, but I can never access any files, even when I log in. It just says "error connecting to server." Is there anything I need to setup on my PC? I have no password for the sign in.

2. cyclingplatypus macrumors 6502a

cyclingplatypus

Just check and see on the PC if you have sharing on and that the folder you are looking for is marked to share.

3. varmit macrumors 68000

varmit

Share the folder or disk on the PC and the Mac will then be able to access them. http://www.windowsnetworking.com/articles_tutorials/wxppntsh.html

4. upsguy27 macrumors 65816

upsguy27

In XP, you need to go into the control panel and trun on sharing, in Vista you go into the Network and Sharing center and turn on all the sharing options.

5. Scooterman1 macrumors 6502a

Scooterman1

In most cases, Sharing isn't enough. You have to also set the Permissions for the Folder you share to 'Everyone' and set what kind of access that you want them to have. In Vista, you also need to go to Control Panel/Network and Internet/Network and Sharing Center, and turn 'ON' File Sharing. You need to do likewise in XP.

6. upsguy27 macrumors 65816

upsguy27

I knew there was something I was missing. I'm not around a Windows computer so I couldn't check what all the settings that had to be turned on were.

7. Scooterman1 macrumors 6502a

Scooterman1

Also, if the above don't work, then start checking the Firewall Settings on your Windows machine.