Accessing root filesystem on iphone 4

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by joneildu, Jul 14, 2010.

1. joneildu macrumors member

Is there a way to do it without the jailbreak? I'm wanting to transfer an mp3 voicemail greeting to my phone.

2. grapes911 Moderator emeritus

grapes911

Jailbreak basically means gaining root access to the iPhone, so I'm going to say no.

3. thelatinist macrumors 603

thelatinist

Not only is it not possible gain root access without jailbreaking (gaining root access, as was said above, is basically the definition of jailbreaking), but the voicemail greeting is not stored on your phone and is not in mp3 format. There is a workaround for tricking a jailbroken phone into uploading a voicemail greeting, but you first have to convert it to the Adaptive Multi-Rate (AMR) codec and a bitrate of 12.2kbps. Please note that this is really not adequate for anything but voice.

4. dhlizard macrumors G4

dhlizard

Can't be done without jailbreak.

And unless Apple has changed things in iPhone 4, all Apple sound files in iPhone are .caf files except for .m4r ringtones.

Besides, a voicemail greeting gets recorded in voicemail section of the phone.app and I'm not sure it gets stored on the phone, it may be in AT&T's system, not sure though.

@thelatinest...man are you fast !
    And the voicemail greeting trick is new for me, thanks !

5. joneildu thread starter macrumors member

I know how to actually get the sound on the voicemail, the matter is gaining access. I thought that it was possible with iphonefolders, but it works with everything except 64bit windows 7. Upon further review however, that still just allows media folder access. Bleh...I need to find a workaround outside of holding my phone to my computer speaker.

6. joneildu thread starter macrumors member

7. thelatinist macrumors 603

thelatinist

You are welcome! I recorded my greeting on my computer using a good mic, converted it, and uploaded it that way. It's amazing what a difference in quality it made. It really doesn't work with anything more complex than a voice greeting, in my experience. For one thing, it filters anything below 200 Hz or above 3400 Hz.

8. dhlizard macrumors G4

dhlizard

You know i'll try it as soon as @comex and the DevTeam let go of "the stuff"

Thanks ! :D