Accessing shared files on PC /Leopard

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Mold, Jan 22, 2008.

1. Mold macrumors newbie

I just bought a iMac c/w Leopard. It is my first Mac. I was using iTunes for my iPods on my PC running XP Pro. I can see the PC in my Shares (in Finder window) but I can't see any of the shared files on that PC. I want to be able to transfer my music library to my iMac as well as save files to the drives on the PC to gain extra storage.
    I have 1 laptop and two PC's and my iMac on a D-Link DIR-655 router. They are all hardwired.:confused:

2. Lixivial macrumors 6502a

Lixivial

OK, first I'm going to just give you a quick suggestion as it may help you. You might find it beneficial to view the Leopard Guided Tour and the corresponding documents on Apple's site. Also, Macrumors has a healthy variety of guides that you may find useful. Just as an aside FYI. :)

As for your issue, here's what you'll want to do. By default it's going to try to the Windows shares as Guest or the user you're logged into your Macintosh as. So click your PC in the Shared section of the Finder sidebar, and you'll see a "Connect As..." button. If it says "Disconnect" click that, and then click "Connect As..."

You'll be prompted with a window that says "Guest" or "Registered User" -- Click the "Registered User" button. In the Name field, type in the username that resides on the Windows machine you're connecting to. Ditto for the password box. If you want to remember this login, click "Remember this password in my keychain" and click "Connect." This should work with blank passwords, but you shouldn't be using non-passworded accounts anyway.

Assuming you typed in your Windows username and password correctly, you should see shares that the user on the remote machine has access to read. If you don't, you'll want to confirm the user you're connecting as has rights to read the shares on the Windows machine.

3. Mold thread starter macrumors newbie

Connect As

Thanks for the great tips I have been looking for some information on the OS, I will take those tours. I am a bit of a knowledge seeker and want to be a power user on Macs as well as PC's
    The problem I was having was in Finder I could see the PC in the shared tool bar but when I clicked on Connect as nothing would happen. No window would open to let me sign in.