Accessing songs on a server with iPad.

Discussion in 'iPad' started by TehGuitarist, Jan 19, 2011.

1. TehGuitarist, Jan 19, 2011
    Last edited: Jan 19, 2011

TehGuitarist macrumors newbie

Is it possible? My music collection won't fit on my iPad (I rip my CDs at lossless... Yes I still buy CDs)

But when I'm at home I'd like to access my music wirelessly from my laptop or a media server from my iPad and control what plays?

At the moment the only thing i can think of is to stream the music on the LAN and then vnc into the laptop but that's a PITA. Any other ideas?

Basically the remote app with streaming

2. schaabie macrumors member

Look into Orb or possibly there may be a client app that can access a mt-daapd (itunes media server).

3. blueroom macrumors 603

blueroom

Without iTunes running the best solution I found was my old Apple TV that I upgraded to a 320Gb HDD, all my lossless music fits. The iPad remote app is amazing with this combo.

4. sim667 macrumors 65816

Zumocast is brilliant for streaming, does music, movies, documents. Can download files to the device too. Works from inside and outside home network. You can also log in through a browser on any computer and stream your stuff too...... its free aswell which is nice.

Just use apple remote for the remote side of things ;)

5. Maagus macrumors regular

I have Buzz Player HD to do that for videos (I access my NAS and play or copy to iPad any video I need), just tested for you if the player works with music the same way and it does.

However it is not streaming. You can access your music files you have stored on your server via standard SMB protocol, play them, copy them to iPad, create playlists etc.

http://itunes.apple.com/cz/app/buzz-player-hd/id389744550?mt=8

Not sure if it is what you need though.

6. Muzz112 macrumors member

Cheapest solution i've found is pogoplug (similar to a NAS). I've been using it for about 6 months now, and no problems streaming music to my iPhone or my iPad whether i'm connected to my LAN or out and about. They only cost about £50 as well, then connect any external HDD or pen stick to the device.

http://www.pogoplug.com/home-en.html?

also, Pogoplug has an app on both iPhone and iPad which is free

7. TehGuitarist thread starter macrumors newbie

What solutions are there for if iTunes is on? I have remote and remote tap so i can launch iTunes any time, is there an app to stream the audio from iTunes to an iPad.

8. jdstoddard macrumors member

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148 Safari/6533.18.5)

Try Streamtome in the app store. You install a small app on your Mac and the other app on the iPad. It's 2.99 in the app store. It steams both audio and video. Does not transmit DRM content though. Hope this helps!

9. schaabie macrumors member

mt-daapd (itunes media server) & simple DAAP client (app in appstore)

10. Uofmtiger macrumors 68000

Uofmtiger