accessing the web via proxy

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by hibanzai, Nov 16, 2011.

1. hibanzai macrumors member

I'd like to access the web via a proxy, whether am on 3g or wifi. Web browsing and app access alike. How do I go about doing so?

2. Mojo1, Nov 16, 2011
    Last edited: Nov 16, 2011

Mojo1 macrumors 65816

Depending on your reasons for accessing the Web via a proxy, I suggest using a personal VPN service. VPN will encrypt all the data being transferred between your Mac and the VPN server, as well as substituting your IP address with the VPN server IP address. Your ISP will not be able to log where you go online nor will it be able to intercept any of the data going through its servers. All the ISP can tell is that you are connecting to a VPN server.

I highly recommend Witopia.net (http://www.witopia.net/products/). Installation is very easy and you can select from a long list of VPN servers located in multiple countries, which can be very handy when traveling. All it takes to connect to a VPN server is clicking an icon in the Finder Menu Bar and choosing a server from the drop-down menu.

Witopia also has VPN available for iOS devices such as the iPhone, iPod Touch and iPad. On the iPhone you simply add as many VPN servers as you want and they will appear as options in the VPN section of your Settings. Depending on what type of Mac/iOS VPN you choose the monthly cost is around $5. There are no data limits. Witopia does not appear to offer an iOS-only option but I would contact the company to find out if it is possible to do so.

Witopia keeps minimal logs and purges all logs every 48 hours or so. And they offer a 30-day refund period should you decide to cancel the service. Witopia has excellent and fast customer service too.

3. hibanzai thread starter macrumors member

Excellent reply! Thank you so much for answering this thread. Although you do sound like their sales rep ;) I will check them out. I did wonder if VPN would mean my ISP can't intercept any of my data.

4. Mojo1 macrumors 65816

5. johnsonm90 macrumors newbie

How much do Witopia charge??
    Can you recommend a free one which offer decent speed and consistent service??

6. Mojo1 macrumors 65816

I provided a link to the Witopia website where pricing info is available.

I don't have any information about free personal VPN services; I doubt that they exist... If you want free you will have to settle for something like the Tor Project https://www.torproject.org/.