Accessing Time Capsule wirelessly with PC

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by Matt-Man-Plus, Oct 6, 2009.

1. Matt-Man-Plus macrumors regular

OK, so I have a time capsule that works flawlessly as a wireless router/storage device and plays very nicely with my macbook. I also have a work PC running XP. I dowloaded Bonjour for the PC so I could print to the printer connected to the TC from the PC. That all works fine, but how can I access the hard drive on the TC from the PC wirelessly? I can't seem to make this work. Anyone know how to do this with an XP machine?

2. skorpien macrumors 68020

The easiest way would be to download AirPort Utility for Windows from Apple's site. This includes AirPort Base Station Agent, which automatically mounts the drive on your PC on startup.

Also, be sure to include the correct workgroup name in your Time Capsule's settings in AirPort Utility. Under Disks, there should be a workgroup name field. I'm not at my computer so I'm not sure of the exact spot.

3. Matt-Man-Plus thread starter macrumors regular

Thank you for the response SKorpien. I downloaded Airport Utility for Windows and can connect to the Time Capsule to configure settings, ect.
    The Airport Base Station Agent detects my Time Capsule and I choose that I want to connect to it with the password. It seems like it takes it and then dissapears. Where do I actually see the hard drive to get to the file structure? It doesn't show up anywhere. I go to "My Computer" and it's not there. I'm assuming the reason I can't see it has something to do with the "workgroup" setting you referred to. I found the setting, i'm just not sure what to put in that feild??

4. skorpien macrumors 68020

Go into "My Network Places" and see if your Time Capsule's disk appears as a networked drive. If so, congrats! If not, go into Control Panel > Network Connections and select "Set up a home or small office network" from the side bar. Continue clicking "Next" until you get to the workgroup name section. Give it a unique name or keep the default, but make note of what this is. Finish the setup and exit out of the wizard. Then place that workgroup name in the workgroup field in AirPort Utility, reboot your computer (for safe measure), and it should show up.