Accessing Time Capsule?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by punkeb, Apr 25, 2008.

1. punkeb macrumors member

I installed Time Capsule and backed up everything (I think) last night. How do I access the items now stored on Time Capsule?
    Also, can I save things directly to Time Capsule and use it as an external hard drive that way or does it have to be saved on my computer?
    Thanks much

2. jonbravo77 macrumors 6502a

jonbravo77

you want to access TC to retrieve info that you deleted? If so, click on the Time Machine icon and search for the file and click restore.

As far as saving stuff to the Time Capsule, yes, it's a hard drive that you can access anytime. You should have an icon on the left side of Finder under Shared that has your Time Capsule name you should have to Connect As and type in your password for the TC. there you can add files to it.

Peace:cool:

3. punkeb thread starter macrumors member

I open my hard drive and see the time capsule under shared. I then double click a folder called data and then a file called ...parsebundle which when I double click does nothing.
    How do I access the time capsule as if it was just an external hard drive I plugged in? I am not understanding that.

4. skorpien macrumors 68020

Don't go into your data folder. Just create a folder on the root directory (where the data folder is located) and copy files there. You don't have to create a folder, but it's more organized if you do. The data folder is for the backup.

5. punkeb thread starter macrumors member

Ok, so I double clicked my hard drive and then under shared I clicked the time capsule. Under the file menu, I can then start a new smart folder. Is that correct?

6. skorpien macrumors 68020

Yes. So to make it clear, after you create this smart folder, you will have the data folder as well as the new folder displayed in the same Finder window.

7. punkeb thread starter macrumors member

I clicked new smart folder and a new window opened up. What do I do with this folder and how do I name it?

8. skorpien macrumors 68020

9. chas0001 macrumors 6502a

chas0001

All you need to do is navigate to the Time Capsule disk where you can see the Time Machine Backup (*************.sparsebundle). Then click on FILE then NEW FOLDER. Give the folder a name. You can then save files to this new folder that will be available to all computers on your network. Smart folders are not required in this instance.

Attached Files:

10. punkeb thread starter macrumors member

Ah! So I click the data folder to open it and then create a new folder next to the parsebundle, right?

11. chas0001 macrumors 6502a

chas0001

Yep. You can then drag that new folder into the Finder Sidebar so that you can access it easily.

Attached Files:

12. punkeb thread starter macrumors member

Sorry again! If I move it to the sidebar, is it still on the Time Capsule and still saving info there?

13. skorpien macrumors 68020

Yes, you're just creating a shortcut at the sidebar so it's easier to find and navigate to.

14. punkeb thread starter macrumors member

I'm also still not really understanding how to access my files (like photos from iPhoto) once they are saved on Time Capsule.

15. skorpien macrumors 68020

16. Maxadoodle macrumors newbie