Accessing Time Machine from Windows 7

Discussion in 'macOS' started by heffeque, May 7, 2012.

1. heffeque macrumors regular

heffeque

Here's my problem.

My early 2008 15" MacBook Pro died a couple months ago. I bought it in Spain, but in that moment I was in Brazil. I took it to an Apple place and they told me that the nVidia 8600M GT died and that if I wanted a fix it would be $900 or so because it's an all-in-one motherboard change.

I didn't have the money or energy to ask for that so... I told them to do a Time Machine backup and whenever I went back to Spain I'd buy another Mac and go from there.

The problem is... when I went back to Spain I didn't have enough money for a Mac so in the end I decided to buy a really cheap Zotac AD04 (here) with 8 GB of RAM.

Now I'm back in Brazil and I need a few files I have on that Time Machine backup. The problem is that over here I don't know anybody with a Mac with Lion so I can't access those files "correctly".

I have Boot Camp 4's HFS+ read access, but the system doesn't seem to understand mac links and folders very well (See "FolderExample.png")

So what I did was try to find the files manually and they seem to be all here (See "HowEverythingIsOrganized.png")

The problem is that when I want to copy a folder... it doesn't. It only copies files, so I have to create the folders individually and copy-paste them manually.
    That's more or less ok for folders with lots of files inside and no nested folders but... imagine copying the iTunes folder. It's ****ing hell!

Once I get enough money I'll surely buy a Mac, but it'll probably be a pretty long time until that so...

So... Here's the question:

Is there any way to make Windows "understand" links and folders correctly?

Thanks in advance.

Attached Files:

2. MagicBoy macrumors 68040

MagicBoy

In a word - No.

Time Machine uses Unix type symbolic and hard links, which Windows isn't going to understand even with an HFS+ file system driver installed.

You might have a better chance with Linux.

3. heffeque thread starter macrumors regular

heffeque

I guess I'll do that. I have a fast USB 3.0 pen drive that I can use to boot-up some live linux. I'll let you know how it worked out.

Thanks for the idea!