Accessing Users on iMac via other Mac?

Discussion in 'OS X Mavericks (10.9)' started by willcapellaro, May 20, 2014.

1. willcapellaro macrumors 6502

I have temporarily usurped my wife's iMac and she is using my MBP. We have dual users on both devices. This is all new to us.

She wants to know how she can access her iMac documents folder directly without having to access the iMac or use Drop Boxes, etc. While on our home wifi network, not via web.

I might get my own new laptop at some point soon and I'll want to do something similar.

Basically, we want to be able to use the iMac as a file server and an active desktop for both users.

We're okay futzing around with a little bit (logging in the user probably needs to happen), but at this point we are not looking to buy any new equipment, eg NAS, Mac Mini server, or time capsule.

I'm sure this is covered elsewhere, I just need to know what I'm looking for.

2. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

Go to System Prefs on the iMac and in the Sharing pane turn on file sharing. Then add whatever folder you want to share and who you want to have access.

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1549

This article should help you set it up.

3. AppleNewton macrumors 68000

AppleNewton

that and it depends on what apps you use...iWork? etc...iCloud can also help have constant access to those files too.

other than file sharing within OS X, thats the best bet otherwise you're looking at a more involved networking setup.