Accessing virtual machine in boot camp from mac

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by GeorgeKildare, Jan 3, 2010.

1. GeorgeKildare macrumors newbie

I am running snow leopard + windows 7 on boot camp. All my documents/data files are presently in windows folders on the boot camp partition and I can access them and write them from my mac using Paragon ntfs.

When I try the VM Ware or Parallels boot camp virtual machines, I cannot access the windows folders from the mac. Most of the documentation assumes that one wants to access the mac files from the virtual windows machine. I want to do the opposite. Does anyone know if it is possible to set up the file sharing on either VmWare or Parallels to allow access of windows folders on the vitual machine from the mac?

Sorry if this is a stupid question.

2. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 3_1_2 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/528.18 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile/7D11 Safari/528.16)

If the files are on the boot camp partition you are booting in VMWare wouldn't they
    already be available as folders on C:?

Why would you need to complicate things by tring to share them from the Mac?!?

Do you have some other NTFS partition involved here? Like an external drive?

B

3. GeorgeKildare thread starter macrumors newbie

After starting VMWare the boot camp partition is no longer visible from OS X. The boot camp partition is on the Imac disk.

4. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

I got it now. Thanks for clarifying the situation.

The only way I can think of is to share the folders you need from within Windows, and then access them as if it were a separate PC on your network.

B

5. GeorgeKildare thread starter macrumors newbie

PS. I have not discovered how to share the virtual boot camp machine so that I can see it via de network from the Mac. It is not visible in the sharing section of Finder. The question is whether such sharing is possible in either VM Fusion or Parallels

6. Darth.Titan macrumors 68030

Darth.Titan

It is possible, but you need to set the networking on the VM to bridged mode. Then the VM will exist as just another computer on your network (along with your Mac)

From there you just need to setup file sharing appropriately in Windows.