accessing wifi at work on iphone

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by seanbone, Oct 4, 2008.

1. seanbone macrumors newbie

Can I add a network using my built in aiport in my macbook and connect my iphone to that wifi network?

2. Me1000 macrumors 68000

Me1000

securing the wifi is probably a good idea, Especially in a work environment!
    Perhaps you could just talk to the very respectable admin, and get the password from him, explain to him why you want it. :rolleyes:

3. paulold macrumors 6502

Your built-in airport is for receiving a wifi signal, not for sending one out. you would need to connect a router to the signal coming in via your network's ethernet cable to then establish your own wifi network. but your employer might not allow such a thing.

to avoid the expense, try asking for the password. you can then use the wifi with your laptop as well as your iPhone.

4. xroyx macrumors newbie

You can use your Mac's internet sharing function to do this.

Go to System Preferences and under Internet and Network there is an option for Sharing.

Go there and you can tell the Mac to share the ethernet connection via the airport card in the Mac. Under the "Share your connection from" drop down menu, select "built-in ethernet" and from the "To computers using" option select airport.

You will be prompted to set up a password and use that password on your iPhone to join the network.

I have used this often with my iPhone or to share an ethernet connection in a hotel room. It works well but I do not know what type of security is being used in that connection.

5. Clete2 macrumors 65816

Clete2

Man do I wish it was this easy on Windows XP. :( Every time I enable ICS, it decides that the PC should connect through the ad-hoc network as its primary connection rather than the ethernet (so that the internet doesn't work on either my PC or my iPhone).

6. PoitNarf macrumors 65816

PoitNarf

Circumvent your office's network security at your own peril. At many jobs, doing this would be grounds for immediate termination.

7. wackymacky macrumors 68000

wackymacky

Yes you can create an ad hoc network with your macbooks airport card to share the ethernet connection like this.

However firstly it is not very secure doing this esp. if it is only a WEP.

Second depending on how the intranet at your work is configured (proxies and firewall) you may have trouble gettign youtube and mail working properly