Accessing WiFi

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by matt1219, Nov 8, 2008.

1. matt1219 macrumors regular

Hi, I'm going to get an 8-core mac pro within the next couple weeks. I was wondering, do I need to get the Airport Card to access my Internet connection thru WiFi?

2. JediMeister macrumors 68040

Yes, you will need the AirPort card to connect to a wireless network. The only models that ship with it built-in are Apple's notebook systems and the iMac/mac mini models.

3. matt1219 thread starter macrumors regular

Wow. That really sucks. Not only am I spending 2.8k on a computer, $72 on 2 more GB of RAM, now I have to spend $50 more because Apple can't include it on the MP. Plus, I'll probably have to spend even more to get more than the minimum 320 GB of HD space. Thanks.

4. mchalebk macrumors 6502a

First off, do not upgrade the HD when you order from Apple. Apple charges way too much for RAM and hard drives.

Next, you think $50 is a lot to add an option to a $2,800 machine? Why would Apple include wireless in a Pro tower? If a company decides to buy a bunch of MacPros and doesn't want to use wireless (which most companies would not), why should they pay extra?

You only need to add the wireless card if you want to connect wirelessly to the network. You can connect an ethernet cable from the MacPro to the wireless router if you don't want to spring for the wireless card,

5. matt1219 thread starter macrumors regular

Well, I know not to upgrade from RAM and HD from Apple. I guess you're right. I just think it's stupid that when all their other computers have it, that the highest end Mac doesn't.

6. irishgrizzly macrumors 65816

irishgrizzly

If they did included it, the machine would just be $50 more expensive. They wouldn't give it away. Also some companies don't allow them for security reasons.

7. sash macrumors 6502a

sash

Apple considers that as an option in Mac Pro. One may want the card, one may not. There is nothing stupid. 'Other computers' are portables or mono-block, and installing a card could be difficult and will void warranty (if you'd do that yourself).