Accessing Windows 10 on Mac

Discussion in 'macOS' started by NStocks, Aug 2, 2019.

1. NStocks macrumors 68000

Hi,

I have my work laptop which runs Windows 10 and use it for Adobe, AutoCAD and other similar graphical and engineering applications, plus outlook. Our entire company sync with Dropbox.

In a month's time I'm relocating from work which means I will be travelling on the train around 2 hours per day and need to use this time to do my work.

The company laptops are very powerful, but are also 17" and quite heavy, so not the type of laptop you can use on a train very easily, especially not without a mouse.

I like the idea of using my MacBook Pro on the train to work but not all the applications I use are available to me on a Mac, notably Adobe suite due to licensing.

Is there a way to access my work laptop to use the installed programs without physically being near the windows laptop? Or even if it was tucked away in my bag in clamshell mode?

2. chown33 Moderator

Staff Member

I think one typical way to connect to a Windows computer remotely is with Microsoft's Remote Desktop.

First, you'd need to setup your Windows computer to accept such connections. Your company may have policies about that, so you should check with them first.

Second, if the Windows laptop is in clamshell mode, it will need to act as both a wireless access point (AP). There are Windows settings to do that. You may also need for that computer to maintain another connection to your company network. Again, check company policies on having your laptop acting as a wireless AP to your company network.

Third, there is a Mac app in the Mac App Store that lets you connect to Windows machines using Remote Desktop Protocol. See here:
    https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/wi...e-desktop-services/clients/remote-desktop-mac

The first thing I'd do when setting this up (after checking with the company that it was allowed) is configuring the Windows machine to accept connections. Then I'd try actually connecting to it using another Windows machine, because that should take much less setup than simultaneously trying clamshell mode and a Mac app.

Only after it's certain that the Windows machine can accept connections, and provide the desired access to apps, would I then move on to getting and trying the Mac app.

After those two things are working, then it's time to try clamshell mode.

If clamshell mode doesn't work, then you might still be able to use a Mac remotely. Basically, you'd leave your Windows laptop at work, turned on and accepting Remote Desktop connections. Then you'd run your Mac's RD app when you're on the train, and it connects to your laptop at work.

The IT department at your workplace may prohibit remote connections that aren't directed to a specific server. Or they may allow them, but require certain information, such as a MAC address, in order to filter out unwanted riff-raff attempts.

There may be other alternatives, such as TeamViewer or similar apps.

3. NStocks thread starter macrumors 68000

Thanks for your response, very helpful!

I've overlooked one thing: Bootcamp.

It's free, Windows 10 doesn't need to be paid for (very surprising) and it should work just the same as my work laptop. Most applications we use at work are subscription based so there shouldn't really be a problem there with licensing.

I'm going to try a few options to see which is the most seamless and has fewer problems.

4. chown33 Moderator

Staff Member