Accessoires and stuff

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by streetmagic, Feb 26, 2008.

1. streetmagic macrumors newbie

Hey everyone,

Buying a Macbook right now. Just wondering if you could assist me a little.

I'm getting the white 2.4GHz one. In our edu store the harddrive update is 84,- (for the 250gb). If i buy one seperately i of course would get the 160gb too. question is which 250gb one to buy if done somewhere else.
    what about an 320gb one?

.mac
    hmm, doesn't seem worth it (at least considering storage)?

apple care
    don't like this price, if anyone is from germany maybe, what do you think about the gravis protection plan for 99,- ??

sleeves
    considering iStuff iSaver Shell or the 13.3 Brenthaven Sleeve. Both seem to be hardcases.
    what about this Speck SeeThru thing? anyone using it (against scratches maybe)? or are there other suggestions for keeping this thing shiny and scratchless?

probably enough for now.
    i'll need to get some other things too, like:

usb hub (should have 8 slots)
    firewire hub
    external hdd
    router
    cables
    etc...

if you have brand suggestions i'd appreciate it.
    since i'm a mac n00b i don't yet know so much.

questions that pop up would be:

what external hdd size should i get when i use encryption on the internal one. with a disk image or with (the newly supported) truecrypt, will time machine be able to see incremental changes? how should i encrypt the external one in this scenario?

is the airport basic airtunes thing recommended? i didn't yet go through all specs but i guess it supports WPA2, radius authentication, VPN passthrough?
    does it handle traffic well as far as torrent techn. is concerned? stateful packet inspection?
    timecapsule is not for me.
    i need an all in one printer/scanner thing too, as far as i read, there is no wireless scanning/copying with airport, only printing? i wouldn't mind, but then i wouldn't really need the usb slot there i guess.

thanks for all answers from you guys and girls

2. Ugg macrumors 68000

Ugg

I'd suggest getting an external rather than a larger internal. But, it really depends upon how much stuff you plan on keeping on your hard drive. My LaCie is 3+ years old and still going strong.

.mac is pricey, but it depends upon how you use it. It can be very valuable.

I have an Airport Express and wireless printing is a snap. Since my scanner and printer are separate units, I've never tried to hook up the scanner to the AE to see if it works.