Accessories/Discussion on One Hand Use of iPad 2

Discussion in 'iPad Accessories' started by Pete the Geek, Mar 16, 2011.

1. Pete the Geek, Mar 16, 2011
    Last edited: Apr 25, 2011

Pete the Geek macrumors regular

I made a list of one-hand straps and gizmos that are available for iPad (below). Most iPad 1 models can't be used with iPad 2. I'm looking for additional recommendations and field reports on accessories that you have used.

This will be of interest to educators, medical staff and others who want to use an iPad 2 while walking around. I plan to use mine in classrooms and with kids.

My particular need is to have something that will let me securely balance the iPad 2 on one hand while I operate it with the other. I also want to be able to lower the iPad down to my side while I walk around the classroom. A perfect solution would also include a mechanism can easily be used by a child (e.g. if I hand it off to an eight-year-old, I want it strapped to his or her hand or better yet secured with a lanyard behind the neck). Ideally, the whole mechanism can be readily removed for travel and for use when I'm not teaching.

ETA: another thread on this topic here.

Otterbox Utility Series Latch
    - This looks ideal for use in classrooms. Strap and lanyard hooks.
    - Does go on and off easily?
    - Waiting to see if it fits iPad 2 (per their website)
    - Link to a review
    Link to a long-winded video that shows it being used on an iPad 2

TKO Solutions X-Band
    - Looks like it would slip on and off quite easily.
    - How secure are the four corner loops?

Free One Hand
    - Has a big non-detachable knob… useful, but not the strap I want

Griffin Air Strap
    - Doesn't swivel

Belkin Grip 360
    - This could be what I saw at the Apple store in Winnipeg…
    - Includes a kickstand and strap (swappable)

Sleve360
    - This looks good! Except...
    - Covers a "small part of the screen"… hmmm
    - Can it be removed easily? (Looks possible but not quick - intended to be placed on and stay)
    - Has build-in kickstands for portrait and landscape

Handstand
    - Silicone.
    - Doesn't seem to cover the screen.

US+U Swivel Pro
    - Folio-type case

2. av. macrumors newbie

3. Pete the Geek thread starter macrumors regular

I'd appreciate any feedback on these or other one-handed iPad solutions. I really thought the Otterbox Latch would be ideal, but their website has not been updated for the iPad 2. The bottom line is I'm still looking.

4. kass macrumors newbie

5. Bigchris macrumors member

That looks promising, How do you like ? Does it feel secure ?

6. kass macrumors newbie

Yes, very secure. I can fling it around with my fingers and not worry about it slipping away from me or out of the strap. The band is really heavy duty.

7. Bigchris macrumors member

Thanks, I think I'm going to get it.

8. MacFan3461831 macrumors newbie

Has anyone seen anything like the Belkin 360 for the iPad 2 yet? Do you think Belkin will do another one, having released the iPad 1 version only a few months before the iPad 2 release? Did they get burnt and turned off the market?

Alternatively, is there anything similar out there that is designed for one-handed use that is also: a well protecting case; and has a kickstand to sit it on a table in both landscape and portrait angles?

I like the wide strap - seems very comfortable for eBook reading in bed. Inter-changeable bits on the back like the Belkin 360 seem like a great idea - one for home and one for work.

9. MacFan3461831 macrumors newbie

Yep saw that, I think it's down to the Speck or the Handstand for me - but I'd rather have a 360...

How comfortable is the Speck to hold one-handed in bed, while lying on your side reading eBooks?

I wonder when Apple will add auto page turning via the camera detecting certain eye movements. At that point I'd want a gooseneck attachment to my bed's headboard - lie flat on your back and read, no hands :)