Accessories for MacBook (To Use on Desk)

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Shaun.P, Mar 16, 2009.

1. Shaun.P macrumors 68000

Shaun.P

Hi all,

I have a new Aluminium MacBook, and I am looking to buy a monitor, keyboard and mouse so I can use the MacBook on my desk.

I have priced the following items:

Dell 2209WA
    £198.06
    (eBuyer)

Apple Wireless Keyboard
    £42.55
    (Apple Store)

Logitech V470 Mouse
    £35.21
    (Amazon)

Apple DisplayPort to DVD-D Cable
    £17.25
    (Apple Store)

Total: £293.07

I was thinking about a laptop stand, but I think this is unnecessary as I don't require the laptop to be at the same height as the monitor.

The monitor and mouse get fantastic reviews. The monitor is an IPS panel, which I believe is one of the best? It also comes with a three year warranty :).

Do you have any of these items, or would you recommend something different?

2. scienide09 macrumors 65816

scienide09

Quick question for you:

If this is strictly for desk use, why pay the premiums attached to a wireless mouse and a wireless keyboard? You could save, what, £20 on the keyboard alone? Just wondering if it's worth the cost.

Otherwise, this sounds like a pretty nice setup.

3. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

I like the Logitech MX Revolution mouse over the V470.

4. Shaun.P thread starter macrumors 68000

Shaun.P

Hi there, thank you for your reply. Is it not strictly for desk use. I am very lazy and I'm usually in bed with my MacBook :p. The MacBook will very rarely leave the house, but I very rarely type at my desk. If that makes sense?

The main use for this is to watch TV shows on it (I do not have a TV in my bedroom) and I suppose when I have some uni work to do, the nice big screen will be good for word processing.

5. Shaun.P thread starter macrumors 68000

Shaun.P

That mouse does get fantastic reviews, but it is a bit more expensive and I'm trying (somewhat) to have everything matching - the white mouse going with the Apple keyboard). I refuse to buy the Apple Wireless Mighty Mouse due to its rubbish reviews, and the V470 seems like a good alternative.

Would you all say that the Apple Wireless Keyboard is good?

6. bobfitz14 macrumors 65816

bobfitz14

laptop stands also give more desk space because it takes the laptop out of the middle of everything, and because it is elevated it keeps it from overheating as well, so you might want to look into it in the future if you'll be using the MB a lot when it's flat on desk.

7. Shaun.P thread starter macrumors 68000

Shaun.P

Thank you for the information, I will start looking into stands! Do you know if I can use my MacBook when the lid is closed, but connected to a monitor?

8. bobfitz14 macrumors 65816

bobfitz14

i personally don't own a MB so i don't know exactly, but i believe you can change the settings so that you can, but then again i don't know. you're better off asking some one else:eek:

EDIT: a lot of people with MacBooks tend to have this stand, as far as i know it works with the Aluminum MacBooks, i'd double check though!

9. Shaun.P thread starter macrumors 68000

Shaun.P

Yes, the mStand is gorgeous. But very, very pricey! Around £70.

10. bobfitz14 macrumors 65816

bobfitz14

there's another stand besides that one that seems to be popular, i can't think of it off the top of my head but you could probably find it somewhere in the Post Your Mac Setups thread.

11. chapmac macrumors member

12. marioman38 macrumors 6502a

marioman38

The Griffin Elevator?

13. bobfitz14 macrumors 65816

bobfitz14

that's the one! it seems like the Griffin Elevator and the mStand are the most common.

14. JasonA macrumors member

I would also suggest you really seriously consider whether you need that wireless keyboard. I got a wireless mighty mouse last year, though it would be great. But it is a lot heavier to use than a regular mouse, and you will go through a lot of batteries. I eventually went back to a wired mouse, since I was going through a new set of batteries every 3-4 weeks. Not worth it to me.

15. Shaun.P thread starter macrumors 68000

Shaun.P

Hi all.

I ended up ordering everything in my original post.

The monitor is fantastic, comparable to the matte MacBook Pro I had before the aluminium MacBook. Brilliant viewing angles and black blacks :).

The Apple Bluetooth Keyboard is working well, but the mouse has not arrived yet. I went ahead with the Logitech V470. It should be here Tuesday, and my setup will be complete.

I think I'm going to leave the stand just now, as I don't feel the need for it in my setup.

Can someone tell me, this monitor I ordered will display a HD signal, if so, what will it be, 1080P/720P?

I am connecting it from DisplayPort on the MacBook to DVI-D. Dell says the monitor has a "1680 x 1050 resolution in widescreen format".

16. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

That's between 720 and 1080.

Your video software will make the necessary conversions.

btw get a mStand...

17. Shaun.P thread starter macrumors 68000

Shaun.P

The Logitech V470 came, and it was rubbish - so I sent it back and got a wireless mighty mouse instead. Much better!

I am looking into the mStand - it's £45 from Amazon which isn't too bad. I'll just need to check out my money situation :).

18. michael.lauden macrumors 68020

michael.lauden

19. zorahk macrumors 6502

Mighty mouse probably won't last you too long. I would recommend getting a logitech mx518

20. Shaun.P thread starter macrumors 68000

Shaun.P

I got the mStand, and the MacBook looks gorgeous on it. One thing though - there is a hole in the stand to filter your cables through. A DVI connecter does not fit through it though... didn't they think why people buy laptop stands? To elevate the screen to use with a monitor?

On they're website they even have a picture of an ACD beside the stand! Grr!

21. mikes63737 macrumors 65816

You can use a DVI to HDMI cable and a HDMI to DVI adapter if it really bothers you.

22. Shaun.P thread starter macrumors 68000

Shaun.P

That would mean I would have to use a DisplayPort to DVI adapter, DVI to HDMI cable, HDMI to DVI adapter then a DVI cable to the monitor...

Seems a bit pointless.

23. SnowLeopard2008 macrumors 604

SnowLeopard2008

Do you go by just reviews? My wireless Mighty Mouse is fine despite everyone claiming it sucks. I'd give it a 4/5 stars because it does get dirty after prolonged use but then again, everything gets dirty over time.

EDIT: Just read a further bit down. Nice choice OP.

Really? For me, the keyboard (wireless, bluetooth) batteries last roughly 2x than the mighty mouse (wireless, bluetooth) batteries.

24. SecondDealer macrumors regular

I believe others have expressed similar opinions but personally I would go with the full, wired keyboard instead of the more expensive blue tooth keyboard without the added numeral pad.

25. Shaun.P thread starter macrumors 68000

Shaun.P

Too late! I've already bought it!

I would like to thank everyone for their help and advice in this thread. I have taken some nice pictures of my new setup, so you can see how everything ended up looking!

My Setup