Accessories for MBP

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by ender land, Oct 28, 2010.

1. ender land macrumors 6502a

I likely am going to be purchasing the 13.3" MBP this weekend - what sort of accessories should I consider purchasing?

I have been a longtime windows user and am not as well versed in Apple computers.

Do many people use the scratch resistant plastic coating types of things? Or hard cases? It would seem that with an aluminum casing these would really hurt their ability to cool off efficiently. But at the same time, aluminum is relatively easy to scratch.

Mice? VGA adapter (this I will want to get I assume)? Case?

Does the laptop come with any sort of carrying case or sleeve? It does not seem so.

Anything I am missing?

Also, I am likely going to be buying this from a Micro Center - anything I should be aware of? It seems pretty nice to be able to get it for ~100$ less than the educational price. $1074 or whatever it works out to be is almost exactly $100 less than the cost online w/ educational discount.

2. Blu101 macrumors 6502a

Blu101

Here's what I got:

MBP Sleeve ( http://www.sfbags.com/products/sleevecases/sleevecases.php)
    Apple remote (great for iTunes music and Front Row movies/shows, Apple store)
    Headphones (pick your favorite brand/type)
    iKlear (to clean the whole MBP, aluminum and display, Apple store or Amazon)
    Cables and adapters (Planning on hooking up to tv/monitor? Extra wall plug for traveling? etc. - Apple store)
    External HDD for backups (OWC, newegg.com, Amazon, etc.)
    Laptop bag (up to you, some use any bag with a sleeve, here's mine: http://www.bbpbags.com/industriesbackpack.html, Review: http://themacfeed.com/2010/04/review-bbp-bags-industries-backpack/)

You can also upgrade your RAM and HDD, check OWC and Amazon for good prices and ratings, along with the forums here.

As far as I know, they don't come with any carrying case. Just use a sleeve and/or laptop bag.

I don't like scratch resistant coatings or stick ons, but that's just me. I know many who always use those, especially on phone screens. Up to you, and how you are with handle and care, along with those in your household.

And ditch the mouse, the trackpad is a thousand times better and easy to learn/get used to, especially on the couch with no hard surface for a mouse.

3. AdamRock macrumors 6502a

AdamRock

heres what i got (im not going to go into detail just overview):
    • case.
    • external 1tb hdd.
    • a palm guard (skin oils can ruin the aluminum on the palm rest and it becomes ugly...).
    • and i got a stand for it.

4. Blu101 macrumors 6502a

Blu101

There is a great wealth of information here and at Apple.com for new to Apple users (I'm one too). Start in the Basics forum here, check out the stickies' links and guides, along with Apple's guides and tutorials, and just have fun. It may be overwhelming at first, but stick with it and you'll be well versed before you know it.

Also, careful where you buy your MBP...make sure it's legit ;)

5. ender land thread starter macrumors 6502a

Coolio. That's good information to know. I figure too since I'm becoming more familiar with Linux, and am quite familiar with XP, that I might as well round out the trio of OS's :)

I'm definitely going to take care in where I buy it from - it seems that the MicroCenter stores are legit though (or else the dozens of people mentioning them are misleading me :p). From what I gather it is a certified Apple store.

I'm torn on the covers as well blu101 - I like the mbp for one reason because it FEELS more solid than some of the silly dell/hp laptops. This is even more apparent after using one for a bit, then going back to the non-Mac laptops..