Accessories that I should buy for new macbook pro

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by XTwinzX, Mar 19, 2008.

1. XTwinzX macrumors newbie

Hi guys,
    I just bought my first new macbook pro last weekend.

As I did my research, I found some accessories that I think is pretty important:
    - The transparent speck cover (for anti scratch)
    - iskin silicon keyboard cover
    - malware cover for arm rest.

Is there any problem with those accessories?
    and is there any additional acc that I needed?

Thanks in advance.

2. aaronw1986 macrumors 68030

Congrats on the purchase. You've made some pretty good choices. I use an iskin, so my keyboard underneath has almost never been used. I use moshi palmguard, but the malware should be just as good. The only thing I'm not sure about is the speck case. There were some incidents of this actually have scratched the computer when removed. Also, I don't think they look that great. Personally, I just use a sleeve, and that works great.

3. XTwinzX thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the reply,
    I still have couple of questions;
    - Is the iskin cause over heating for the laptop? and did it actually give marks on the monitor?
    - for the speck, indeed I saw a lot of complain about it. But I am too lazy to use sleeve because I already bought my laptop backpack. I saw another brand of plastic cover which is "TECHSHELL". Do you have any idea about it?
    I also seek for another alternative which is using sticker. So which one do you think is the best using sticker or plastic cover like speck?

Ton of thanks.

4. greengeorge macrumors newbie

i've been using the malware for a whole year now, and i gotta say it is quite useful to protect the armrest, but scratches arent what you should worry about, in my case its small black specs on areas of high usage, i used the malware and it protected my armrest fine but the button on the trackpad is riddled with these black spots

the down side of the malware is it does leave a mark on your screen, a line right on the part where the edge of the malware meets the screen when closed, not really a scratch, more like an imprinted image, i have removed my malware and the mark is still somewhat visible if the screen is dark

oh and mine showed signs of cracking and once it gunks up dirt from wear it looks kinda nasty and theres nothing much you can do to clean it, and the edges tend to peel after half a year or so, these are the reasons i am now malwareless

but all and all its a sound investment, plus the cloth it comes with is mighty useful

5. greengeorge macrumors newbie

oh and i dont worry too much about scratching my mbp, despite its looks its actually quite scratch resistant, its not painted/coated, its the actual material, so i'd say wait and see a while before you buy a pricey enclosure, a sleeve might be more practical,

6. aaronw1986 macrumors 68030

The iskin does not cause heat problems. I have a cloth that goes on the keyboard when I close the lid, as I did not want to risk staining from grease and such left on the iskin. Seems like good practice in general.

7. zainjetha macrumors 6502a

Mighty mouse is absolutely brilliant...
    If you travel alot you might need the MagSafe for airplane power adaptor.

those are the two most useful accessories which i have and use a lot... congratulations on your new purchase

8. eXan macrumors 601

eXan

I'd get nothing from that list. My MacBook is naked, its over 1 year old and its as good as new. Besides, all that cr@p over your most beautiful laptop in the world is..... ugly :eek: