Accessorizing your Camera

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by lindahl22, Nov 29, 2009.

1. lindahl22 macrumors member

I have not yet updated my camera but am planning on buying a Canon Vixia soon (thats another thread) but I was wondering what kind of accessories do I want. Lighting, and sound? Anything else? I would like to spend around $100, less than $200 on each. I was thinking that the RODE Shotgun mic would be the best for sound, but can't find anything for lighting, any ideas? Litepanels, but those are too expensive.

2. CaptainChunk macrumors 68020

CaptainChunk

The single most important accessory for any camcorder is a good tripod. I would even consider extending my budget for that. You can get a pretty decent set of Manfrotto sticks with a fluid head for around $300.

Rodes makes very good shotgun mics. AudioTechnica also has good mics in the $200 price range.

Good lighting kits are always expensive. B&H has a few kits where you get a couple 400-500W lights (for basic key and fill) with barn doors, umbrellas and stands for around $350-500. Quality lights really don't get much cheaper than that, unfortunately.

But to me, in order of importance this is what you'll want to focus on (aside from obvious things like extra batteries):

1. Tripod with a durable fluid head (as opposed to a friction head). If there's anything you don't want to cheap out on, it's this.

2. Mic. As we all know, internal camera mics are garbage.

3. Lighting.

3. lindahl22 thread starter macrumors member

Well I think that I will get a RODE Shotgun Mic unless you suggest another, I have been using a Velbon S-6000, I think its a friction head, but it works pretty well and I have been using it for years, any suggestion on a tripod?

I dont think we need a ton of lighting just something that we can use indoors and outdoors; preferably self powered, any idea?

Looking at the Mics I think the Rode mic that I picked out would be bad, do you know if these would be any better, which one is the best?
    Azden High-performance(SMX-10) Stereo Condenser Microphone
    Audio-Technica Condenser Shotgun Microphone
    Audio-Technica PRO24CM Stereo Microphone with Camera Mount

4. lindahl22 thread starter macrumors member

5. puckhead193 macrumors G3

puckhead193

I think i used the same Azden mic on my canon HF200. Its a pretty good mic and picks up a lot (if that's good :p)
    your going to need a bracket that attaches to the bottom on the tripod screw. to attach it

6. akdj macrumors 65816

akdj

You may want to look at off camera audio. Most camcorders in the consumer range are handicapped by AGC (Automatic Gain Control). When it's quiet, the camera will automatically turn up it's sensitivity to hear the "pin drop" and BOOM, when someone starts dialog, it can be an overload while the AGC works it's magic to bring the levels back to norm...

Tascam, Sony, Zoom, etc...all make handheld SD recorders, with mics and XLR inputs. I use a Tascam DR-1, DR-100 and Zoom H4n.

Also, check out Adorama for lighting...they have a couple of "Constant" light packages in their photo department....snoot, barn doors, lights, and a few filters....for about $2-300.

Also, Captain Chunk has some great advice. You're number one purchase should be a decent tripod or some sort of stabilization device (Zacuto, RedRock, etc). Manfrotto 701HD head should be fine for a Vixia

J