Accessory Advice for Graphic Design + Video Edit

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by MJ - Tides Ent., Sep 8, 2010.

1. MJ - Tides Ent. macrumors newbie

Hey folks, I just spent about 2 hours searching and reading through this forum, and I still need some more specific advice.

Programs I use on daily basis.
    Final Cut Studio, Photoshop, InDesign, After Effects

This part is set:

Student Pricing:
    $2,498 = 2.8GHz Quad-Core + AppleCare
    $900 = Adobe Master Suite
    $1500 = NEC MultiSync PA271W-BK-SV 27"

$5000 so far
    -----

This is where i need advice in reference to my system + applications.

Memory 16gb
    4x4gb vs 2x8gb
    (a bit unsure about the tripple, double ram deal)

ATI 5770 vs 5870
    (will i see $200 worth increase in Final Cut/After Effects?)

Thanks,
    Mike

2. 2contagious macrumors 6502a

2contagious

I'd go with the 2x8GB RAM. It's more future proof (you can then go up to 32GB in the future)

I was wondering.. why the 27" and not wait for the PA301w? I am currently a bit indecisive about whether to go for the 27" or wait for the 30".

3. MJ - Tides Ent. thread starter macrumors newbie

realistically i'd love the total system to cost around $4500

im already blowing my budget a bit, so theres no way I could afford the 30"

( i really wish i could afford the westmere...sigh)

4. 2contagious macrumors 6502a

2contagious

Are you sure you need the whole Master Collection? You could save a bit on that, too if you only need some programs.

5. JesterJJZ macrumors 68020

JesterJJZ

You can't get InDesign and After Effects in a different bundle. So he'd need the design bundle plus After Effects. So might as well just get master.

6. tomscott1988 macrumors regular

tomscott1988

In the UK you can get the Student/teacher design suite of CS5 for £250

7. Honumaui macrumors 6502a

BH has the 27 for $1350 and that is the SV model ! get the hood for $100 or $120 ?
    once you use hoods hard to never use them again :)

I dont know about the video card ? not a FCP person ?

the ram agree 2contagious get the 8 GB sticks ! :)

here is my thought from doing PS for a living and one of our workstations has double 30s already ?
    the new 27 you only loose 160 vertical pixles ? if you can live with that and save a ton the 27 is $1350 for the SV model ! the 30 is suposed to come in at about $2300 for the SV
    so $1000 for just some vert pixles ? not sure if it will be worth it cause you could pick up a whole other 30 inch like the HP 3065 or the Dell on a good deal while the other two wont be nearly as good for color accuracy they are fine monitors and would be great as a second

so for the price of a 30 NEC you might be able to get a PA27 and a good 30 :)
    even if it comes in at $2100 thats still a huge piece of change for not much !

just my thoughts :)

8. J the Ninja macrumors 68000

In the US, I think it's $300 for Design Standard, then $350 for AE as a standalone. You don't get the "extended" version of Photoshop that way though. Although the OP may not need that.

9. 2contagious macrumors 6502a

2contagious

The 27" has 160 vertical pixels less, but is still physically less wide than the 30". Does that mean that the DPI will be higher than on the 30"? Does anyone know the DPI of the NEC 30" vs. 27"?

10. MJ - Tides Ent. thread starter macrumors newbie

Ok guys, I spoke to a professor of mine, who specializes in print.

"The monitor you have specd out the NEC is a nice screen. For my needs, I would go larger and better resolution and display speed over calibration. AND cheaper. Designers arguably do not need the color control you are talking about, because the final output is never on our home machines. We go to press, so there will be color shift on press anyhow. So, the call is up to you."

So I have re-assessed my system. I am going for a less expensive monitor, and now deciding between a beefed up ram 2.8 Quad vs. a 3.3 Hex

Quad Core (i can pick up today in Apple store)
    $2,500 = 2.8GHz Quad-Core + AppleCare
    $600 = Apple 24" LED Display (refurb)
    $900 = 24GB (3x8gb) memory from trans
    =$4900

Hex Core (i have to wait 3-5 days for shipping)
    $3600 = 3.33GHz Hex-Core + AppleCare
    $600 = Apple 24" LED Display (refurb)
    $428 = 12GB (3x4gb) memory from trans
    =$5500

hmm, do I wait a week for this sexy Hex, or do I splurge and go to the Apple store and come home with my new MacPro? I am selling a dual monitor setup as well as a MacBook with Adobe Creative CS4 on Craigslist as we speak to offset the price of this purchase by about $800-$1000 as well.

11. 2contagious macrumors 6502a

2contagious

Are you sure you want a glossy screen though? You do know you get a student discount on Apple monitors (you could go for the matte 30" for example?)

12. Honumaui macrumors 6502a

yes its less wide but thats a given a touch under 2 inches less :)
    the resolution is the same
    27 is a 16:9 display the 30 will be a 16:10

and yes the PPI (dpi is more a printer term) or pixel density is going to be more on the 27 so things might apear a touch smaller in comparison but the resolution in width is the same so everything is their ! you only loose the 160 vetical
    the distance of the pixels :)
    not sure what the 30 is going to be ?
    the 27 is pixel pitch .23 or in PPI 109

CRT days they used some DPI terms to measure the holes in the screen basically ? and yet every manufacture seemed to have their own way of measuring ;)

13. MJ - Tides Ent. thread starter macrumors newbie

I am about to graduate at UNF in Jacksonville for graphic design. I've worked on glossy iMacs during my entire career here, my professors use them, design firms in town use them. Are they all wrong? I've never been bothered by gloss, even though I had a Dell PC for most of my college years.

im still debating getting a smaller NEC over the ACD...but its for the color calibration, not the gloss